Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages is not working on Mac

Hello, I'm having troubles sending/receiving iMessages through my Mac, when typing any time from my contacts into a new message to send, the system can't find any phone number only the email address! Which is strange.

Please advice

Thank you,

Fadi

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:04 PM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 1:30 PM in response to fadigeorge

Hi,

I have seen posts about it being the other way round (only seeing iPhone Numbers).

In these case checking on how the Contacts apps on both devices are syncing is the way to go.

Both should be using the same account such as iCloud.

I have seen some report the iPhone as being set to hold the list rather than iCloud.

This lets the Mac add people to the Contacts List but the iPhone does not sync info back.

User uploaded file

9:30 pm Sunday; November 29, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 29, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you for the analyzing this problem, but you still don't see how i'm going to fix it! I would like to learn how to make my Mac, iPad, and iPhone, share sending iMessages by using the phone numbers are associated with Contact info. that's all. As I used to send many iMessages from my Mac, iPad, and iPhone without any problem, until I the last iOS updates, then this service stopped working after that!

Please send me much more clear way of how to fix this problem.

Thank you,

Fadi

Nov 30, 2015 11:49 AM in response to fadigeorge

Hi,

In System Preferences > iCloud (or Internet Accounts and the service you Use) the option for Contacts should be ticked.

On the iPhone in Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > iCloud should then have Contacts with the slide across so it syncs.

If you don't use iCloud to do this then on the Mac in System Preferences > Internet Accounts you will have a service like Google for instance that also has an option to check the Contacts App to sync via the Google Address Book.

If this is the case then the account should be listed on the iPhone in Mail, Contacts and Calendars and you choose that rather than iCloud.

The Google for Instance is an example it could be Yahoo or Facebook or any account you have listed.

You can also check the Contacts app itself on the Mac.

Open the App and select the App Menu > Preferences > Accounts

Of the options listed only one should be active.

I suspect this is just a variation of what we have already seen.

User uploaded file

7:49 pm Monday; November 30, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

iMessages is not working on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.