Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule backups permissions after clean install to El Capitan

I did a clean install of El Capitan yesterday but wasn't able to restore my files from my Time Machine backups on my Time Capsule. Fortunately I had backed up files to another external hard drive but I am having problems manually restoring everything properly (especially my mail). I believe one of the problems could be when I set things up after the install it had created my username to be my full name whereas my name on my old Mavericks was just my first name. I would like to try again to access the Time Machine backups. How can I correct the permissions or do I scrap what I have done and set up another user name to match what I had before? If so, how do I do this?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:09 AM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2015 11:41 AM in response to wcr1951

How are you trying to restore your files?

Permissions have become more problematic of late..

You cannot repair permissions on the network drive but you can on a local drive.

However Apple in their incredible wisdom .. have removed more functionality from disk utility.. so you now need to do it from the command line.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/04/verify-repair-permissions-mac-os-x/

Nov 29, 2015 11:58 AM in response to LaPastenague

Fortunately I had also backed up to another external drive before doing the install. I have been restoring everything from that backup manually.

I just got off the phone with Apple Support who helped me restore my emails (was long and tedious but I think I have them back now). That was my first concern - getting my mail straightened out. We restored them manually from my external drive. The tech was going to help me with the permissions problem but I guess we both forgot as we got pretty bogged down with the email issue. I have put another call into her to call me at her convenience to help me with the permissions issue. Hopefully she will be able to.

You are so very kind to help so many of us online. I greatly appreciate your time and efforts. I hope I won't have to be back on here begging for further assistance!

Time Capsule backups permissions after clean install to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.