Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3.1.23, iPod Classic & Windows 10: Can sync once, then must reboot

After upgrading to iTunes 12.3.1.23, I am no longer able to sync more than once. I have to reboot if I want to sync again.

Device Manager shows:

User uploaded file

right-clicking on Apple Mobile Device USB Driver shows this:

User uploaded file

Windows 10 1511 64-bit * iTunes 12.3.1.23 * iPod Classic 160 GB (7th generation)

iPod classic (120 GB), Windows 10, Actually, it's an iPod Classic 160

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:30 AM

17 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:34 AM in response to fantailfan

Norton anti-virus by any chance? This seems to be causing problems for some.

iTunes uses the iPod Service for iPod classic rather than the Apple Mobile Device Service. The message may well be due to an older 32-bit version of AMDS not removed then the 64-bit version was installed. You could try removing the current driver to see if the correct one will then load. Otherwise a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes might be in order. See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Nov 30, 2015 8:04 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response.

Norton Anti-Virus was my first thought, as Norton had had a problem which I experienced too. They resolved that one with their Sep 30 2015 (22.5.4.24) release (https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2254-p roduct-update-available-now). In any case, my current problem started when iTunes 12.3.1.23 was installed. It is not a Norton security product problem.

Uninstalling the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and reinstalling it brings the iPod up as a generic storage device in Windows, but it is not recognized as an iPod by iTunes.

I updated the driver from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support; it installed Apple iPod USB Driver, and prompted me to restart the computer.

After restarting, all was fine with the first sync. On the second sync, iTunes again did not recognize the iPod. In Device Manager, the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver again displays the above error (text copied here):

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

Nov 30, 2015 4:55 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2,

Stopping AMDS service before updating the driver made no difference. The updated driver version is the same as the uninstalled driver version, 6.0.9999.67 from 5/18/2015.

Windows 10 can't load the device driver when booted in Safe Mode.

I uninstalled all Apple components, restarted, reinstalled and restarted. The behavior is the same.

Temporarily disabling Norton does not let me sync more than once in the same boot cycle.

ftf

Dec 13, 2015 8:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Finally figured out the workaround to get an older iTunes (12.2.25) to read a newer (12.3.2.35) iTunes library.itl.

1. Uninstall iTunes, include Apple Application Support (32-bit), Apple Application Support (64-bit), Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update, Bonjour and iTunes itself.
  2. Go to Device Manager, view hidden devices. Uninstall and delete the device drivers for Apple iPod USB Driver or Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. I have both an iPod and an iPhone.
  3. Rename current iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library.itl.old (and copy it into Previous iTunes Libraries and rename it iTunes Library MM-DD-YYYY.itl.
  4. Install iTunes 12.2.25
  5. Launch iTunes. It will build a new iTunes Library.itl
  6. Quit out of iTunes
  7. Delete iTunes Library.itl.
  8. Rename iTunes Library.itl.old to iTunes Library.itl.
  9. Launch iTunes.

Voila! Your "newer" iTunes Library.itl will now work with the older version of iTunes.

This all happens a lot faster on an SSD drive.

Note: Synchronizing your iPod will take awhile for "Finishing sync." I believe the delay is due to newer version Genius results having to zapped and reGeniused with the older version, then deleted from the iPod and re-synced.

Note to self: Do not update iTunes again without backing everything up. My faith in Apple is touching, but naïve.

Jan 17, 2016 8:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Actually, it still doesn't work. iTunes 12.3.2.35 still doesn't recognize the iPod Classic after the first sync. The error is still

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

And it's only fixed (and for one sync only) when I restart Windows.

Feb 29, 2016 6:09 PM in response to fantailfan

In device manager there should be an option View > Show hidden devices. If you enable that you may be able to uninstall any and all drivers that appear to belong to Apple, then see if your devices connect properly thereafter.

Reading the post from Dec 1 and your response to it I'm still not certain if you've tried the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release. This is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code similar to all 64-bit versions up to 12.1. There is a slim chance it may behave differently. Apologies if you've already tried this.

If neither of those help then I'm stumped.

tt2

iTunes 12.3.1.23, iPod Classic & Windows 10: Can sync once, then must reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.