Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto keeps crashing

The other day iPhoto kept crashing as soon as I opened it. I tried "recovering the library" which didn't work but eventually when I rebuilt the library it stopped crashing as soon as I opened it. Now, however, it crashes every time I tried to view the info on any photo and at other random times as well. I'm trying to edit my photos from the year and create a new book and it's frustrating that it keeps crashing every so often. Any ideas how to fix it?

iMac

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:55 PM

At a guess you're using 9.4.3 on 10.8?

If so:

A lot of older versions of iPhoto 11 are having this right now:

Huxly647 figured out this fix

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

If bot:

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 5:55 PM in response to charisma1

At a guess you're using 9.4.3 on 10.8?

If so:

A lot of older versions of iPhoto 11 are having this right now:

Huxly647 figured out this fix

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

If bot:

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Nov 29, 2015 10:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am running iPhoto 11 (version 9.4.3) on Mac OS 10.8.5. On November 17, 2015 iPhoto started crashing shortly after launch. It would load the initial "Events" window but before I could do anything it would give the "iPhoto quit unexpectedly" message. Incidentally, the info pane with the faces and places was toggled on.

The fix proposed here (deleting the two files) worked. My questions are:

1) How did Huxly647 figure this out?

2) Did google change something around November 17 to cause this?

3) Any idea about a permanent fix or will places have to be broken from now on?

I can provide more of the crash dump if that helps...

Process: iPhoto [1946]

Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto

Version: 9.4.3 (9.4.3)

Build Info: iPhotoProject-720091000000000~1

App Item ID: 408981381

App External ID: 15017489

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [136]

User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2015-11-30 01:23:59.904 -0500

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 1672 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 1185 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Anonymous UUID: E0319EB6-3931-3083-33DD-6BD55B9D4EC7

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c5332a30

Dec 4, 2015 5:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

I also suffered from exactly the same issue with iPhoto 9.4.3 and MacOSX 10.8.5

In my case there was a single file called googleMap.html

and after moving that to a backup place, iPhoto started working again.

Interestingly though, when starting iPhoto with the alt-key pressed and selecting my Aperture (sigh) library, it started up fine, so my initial guess was that my 380GB iphoto library was corrupted. Very happy now to see that fix was that easy. Didn't like "places" anyway.

Would there be similarly straightforward way to disable Faces as well 😉

Many thanks for this hint,

Eridian

Dec 4, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Eridian

A poster called lopezio claims the following will do the job:

This is how you can disable (turn off) Face detection, without deleting faces found so far (just in case you want to restart processing at another time):

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Open Terminal Application (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

3. Type the following (exactly as is):

defaults write com.apple.iPhoto PKFaceDetectionEnabled 0

(then return)

4. - Start iPhoto - Faces stops getting on your nerves...

If you ever need to re-enable faces, just do the same again and replace the 0 with 1.

I've not tested this so I'd offer a significant warning to back up first and even if it does work then to be wary if you're updating or upgrading as it may have an impact there too.

What definitely works, and safely, is to upgrade to Aperture as that has an option to disable faces. Pay more get more options.

Dec 5, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Yer_Man

I will never update to the newer versions of iPHoto! After being promised over and over that nothing would happen if I upgraded from '9 to '11 (mountain lion) I lost me entire photo library! Had to redo entire thing. Was on the phone with Apple techs for over a week, daily. Horrible experience I'll never forget. So, looks like deleting those 2 files will have to be the fix until we figure out where to go for photography in the near future. It won't be Apple...

Dec 5, 2015 4:09 PM in response to Yer_Man

If we delete those 2 files, how do we know there won't be a more severe issue when we get an update for our 10.8.5 OSX and/or 6.2.8 ver of Safari or 9.4.3 iPhoto? Seems like we could be opening up a Pandora's box of issues? Not being computer savvy, I don't know how to back up my library or application folder or whatever else needs to be done prior to deleting those 2 files. But both my hubby's desktop Mac and my MacBook Pro are having exact same iPhoto issues that began within the last couple of weeks. Is APple working on a fix? Do they care? I cannot upgrade for many reasons….need a perm fix that won't screw it up worse down the road…if possible! 😟

Dec 6, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

While I agree that we need to know more than we do, I was able to follow the above instructions & the fix worked. I now have 2 iphoto libraries in my applications folder (1 being a duplicate where I deleted those files & I've now got that one on my dock)

I think I'll got to my local Apple store's bench so & see if they can advise what to do with the original iPhoto in my applications file as I'm not sure I should delete it (this is the type of thing I really lack knowledge about) The bench has caused more issues in the past due so I'm leery to go back..

Thank you for being here to help! Maybe I shouldn't be lurking here for help, but thankfully I was able to do the fix!

And we do back up both computers using G drives so while we need a class for sure, we have some basic skills. (I wasn't sure if I needed to back up with the G drive or make a duplicate iPhoto & remove those 2 files from the duplicate library; I ended up doing both)

iphoto keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.