Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCX Bug import XAVCL (Long Gob)

FCX can`t import XAVCL (Long gob) files from a other location than the camera card.

If you import this files from a media like your hard disk or external drive, FCX importer imports only the sound file!

The same situation when you save the original file in your FCX Mediathek as when you leave the original file on the external folder or drive.

The difference is, that when you leave it on a external folder or drive, that the MXF does`t change to a unusable MOV file!

The XML export does`t work also! Not when you import from the camera card and also not when you import from a folder or other drive.

I did the test with footage from the Sony FS5

Everything from the FS7 works very well!

Here FCX doesn`t change original MXF files to mov. The import is running great and the xml export is working well!

Please Apple solve this problem immediately! Thanx!

MacPro 3.0, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 9 Gb RAM

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:19 AM

19 replies

Dec 28, 2015 2:20 AM in response to The SB Image

Sorry, but that can`t be the solution.

When I follow your workflow, I only can copy the original file from this privat folder in the mediathek of FCPX. I don`t have the possibility to leave original files untouched on place.

So I have the double files on my hard drive.

I found out a solution for the XML workflow with Resolve.

I copy the original MXF file in the media pool from Resolve, before I make the XML import from FCPX. That is a nonsensically, cumbersome way, but it is the only way that it works!

Frankly speaking, this problem is only present with XAVC(L) files and it is a bug in FCPX.

Dec 28, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Sorry for the misunderstanding and for my English!

Did you read my first post who I explaned the problem?

The bug is, how FCPX handle original XAVC L files with the import wrapper.

FCPX change the original MXF file in a unusable .mov file (unusable for other application, like Resolve)

The other bug is that FCPX does`t allow to organize original media in external folders.

When you import media and select "leave in place", you will get only the audio files from the XAVC L in FCPX. So you have to import the files inside FCPX that you can edit it.

If you do your color grading in Da Vinci Resolve and you need the XML workflow, it also does`t work!

You need to import the original MXF file in Resolve, before import the XML file.

XAVC L have only this incorrect way to handle!

XAVC I works without any problem and with maximum flexibility

I hope you understand what I mean!?

Dec 28, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, but it is not only my way!

The management of external media is a common way.

That is the reason why FCPX gives the possibility for this way!

So why does`t work it all media types except XAVC L? ...a bug?

If you all the time import your media into the FCPX library and you do your color grading inside of FCPX, than you will not have any problems!

But you loose the possibility to handle your 14 stops media with a 32bit application like DaVinci Resolve and you will not have the chance to handle this 14stops footage correctly.

Dec 28, 2015 5:19 AM in response to can-dale

DO you understand what a bug is? Software not working the way it was designed to work because the code is broken or incorrectly formulated. This format doesn't do what you want it to do in FCP. It's a consequence of the nature of the way the manufacturer designed the format. FCP has problems video a way to work with this media in the application. It may do what you want it to do in some future version. It doesn't in the current version. There are a number of crazy formats developed by camera manufacturers that not supported or only partially supported in the application.

Dec 28, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

So thank you again for the lesson "what is a bug?"😁

But frankly speaking, your lesson is not the solution for my problem!

Apple wrote in the technical specifications of FCPX, supported formats: any XAVC packed media.

So FCPX is not working the way it was designed to work. ...a bug...

So I hope that anybody from the Apple developer wrote this poste and takes it seriously instead to discuss about sense and nonsense of me request!

Now I`m waiting patiently for the next updates.

Thank you anyway!

FCX Bug import XAVCL (Long Gob)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.