Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading RAM, MacBook2,1

Hi People,

This is my first time using the support communities, and subsequently, I don't know if I've placed my question in the right area.

Anyway, recently I was given a late 2006 white MacBook (identifier MacBook2,1) by a friend. It currently has 1gb ram. I have a spare 1gb and 2gb stick (ddr2) lying around and I was wondering if I could install them in the macbook to make 3gb ram without major issues. They are different brands - would this be a problem?

This is what I found on http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/faq/macbook-how-to-upgrade-ram.htm l

Apple officially supports a maximum of 2 GB of RAM in the original (Core Duo), "Late 2006" and "Mid-2007" MacBook models.

However, third-parties have discovered that the "Late 2006" and "Mid-2007" MacBook models -- both of which are equipped with a Core 2 Duo processor -- will work with 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM. Due to chipset limitations -- the same limitations that apply to the "Late 2006" MacBook Pro systems -- these models can hold 4 GB of RAM but cannot fully utilize the memory beyond 3 GB due to the possibility of memory "overlap".

Sorry if I posted this in the incorrect forum, I'm just a newbie 😝

Rob

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook White

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 9:36 AM

This is my first time using the support communities, and subsequently, I don't know if I've placed my question in the right area.

I've requested that it be moved to the correct area:

User uploaded file

Memory can be upgraded to 3 Gigs, but the modules must be of the correct configuration, i.e., 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 9:36 AM in response to superdoggyz

I've requested that it be moved to the correct area:

User uploaded file

Memory can be upgraded to 3 Gigs, but the modules must be of the correct configuration, i.e., 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

User uploaded file

Upgrading RAM, MacBook2,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.