Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is vtencoderxpcservice

Does anyone know what VTEncoderxpcservice is? Is it something my Macbook Pro needs to operate or an app? In my Activity Monitor it is using up to 170 % of my cpu. The processor gets very hot to the touch. Is this necessary?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:38 AM

4 replies

Dec 15, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Linc Davis

My VTEncoderXPCService and VTDecoderXPCService runs between 150% to 300% and has already put 36 and 15 hours respectively of CPU time on my iMac in less than a day. I have no iOS device plugged in, however I do have photos in iCloud Photos library and a 49,000 song library in iTunes with iTunes Match turned on. Has the iMac been using these processes to optimize space for the Photos App on my little SSD (128 GB in optical bay) in which the OS X 10.11.2 resides? Might those processes be doing something else? (I can't tell how much disk or network activity are associated with those processes because they don't access the disk or network directly.) My iTunes library (iTunes Media folder is 411 GB) is on the 4TB WD Black HDD also inside my iMac.

This is on a 2009 iMac (Nehalem Core i7-860) so may this extra activity be due to Intel Quick Sync Video not being available because it's a pre-SandyBridge CPU? I have noticed people mentioning 2010 MacBook Pros and older Macs (all pre-SandyBridge) associated with this problem. In any case, I would like to know what the VTEncoderXPCService and VTDecoderXPCService are for, besides the obvious video encoding and decoding!

what is vtencoderxpcservice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.