Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan on older iMac

I have an older iMac (mid-2009) that is currently running Yosemite and using Bootcamp to permit running of Windows 7. Apparently, my iMac will not run Windows 8 or 10 under Bootcamp. I would like to upgrade my iMac to El Capitan but also need to have Bootcamp. I read someplace that my iMac may not support this capability for me. Anyone have experience or recommendations as to whether or not I should upgrade to El Capitan?

Thanks in advance....Dick

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:21 AM

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:26 AM in response to RWM

I have a late 2009 iMac running El Cap just fine. BUT I have 16 gb of ram, the biggest mistake people, especially people with older Macs, make is trying to run a modern OS without enough ram. To run smoothly you need at least 8Gb of ram, but I believe you should have that running Yosemite too. As far as what version of windows is supported I don't know, I use Parallels and Win 7.

El Capitan on older iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.