Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 password lock turned on after upgrading to ios 9

After upgrading to iOS 9 my fathers iPhone 5 turned on its password lock and he cant get back in to his phone because he has never had a passcode. Its asking for the four digit password and he doesn't know it because he has never set up a password. Is there a way to recover his phone or revert it to iOS 8. I don't think he backed up his phone iTunes so Im not sure he can recover it but any help is much appreciated.

iPhone 5

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:27 AM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Madskillz793

Hi Madskillz793,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that after upgrading to iOS 9, your father’s iPhone has a passcode lock on it even though one was not set up. Is it possible that this iPhone was restored from a backup of a device that did have a passcode on it?

I see that there may not be any previous backups, but if the iPhone is passcode locked, it would need to be erased to get rid of the lock. The following article explains how you can do this with either iCloud or by using recovery mode.

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Best!

iPhone 5 password lock turned on after upgrading to ios 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.