Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi dropping out with el captain update WHY ???

OK did the updated operating system , El Captain and i've noticed that lately and all the time now I can access the internet via google and sometimes it works and sometimes it just hangs and hangs..........?????

If I toggle the wifi off and back on via the top right icon on the screen it usually works but, this only works for a bit then it hangs again ... ??????

I'm getting sick and tired of doing this !!!!!

I goto Facebook or other sites and start to navigate through the pages then all of a sudden it hangs !!!!

I know it's only happening on this computer not other ones......

It's not my internet provider.......

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 9:02 AM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant for a quick reply,

Ok looking at the info screen when wifi is displayed reads like this :

PLEASE NOTE:

WiFi: cycles between on and searching for networks ?? then sits on "on" then sometimes searches for network ??? (without moving laptop)

PHY mode:802.11n

BSSID:38:60:

Channel:6 (2.4Ghz,20MHz)

Security: WPA/WPA2 personal

RSSI:-52dBM

Transmit rate: 130 Mbps

MCS index:15

**And the most important , is that I can see like 15 other secured networks around me ???**

Nov 29, 2015 4:48 PM in response to mailman_newman

You have a good strong signal at -52 minus about -85 typical noise for a very good 33 dB signal to noise.

You have a very good data rate at 130 Mbits/sec.

But you have not a prayer of reliable, solid communication among 15 other networks. There are only about three possible channels that wide in the 2.4GHz band, and that leaves five networks competing for each. In addition Bluetooth, baby Monitors, microwave ovens, and wireless landline phones all compete in that same 2.4GHz band.

You may be able to improve things slightly be setting your router channel to "automatic". Then when it powers up, it will choose the channel with the least other traffic.

In the long run, you need to add a Router that includes the 5GHz band, where there is lots more room.

wifi dropping out with el captain update WHY ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.