Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Freezing on Boot and Randomly Crashing

I have a early 2011 Macbook Pro (8,2) with 16GB of RAM with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD and I am running OS X 10.11.1. I have never had any problems with this machine prior to El Capitan. In short, I believe that others are having a similar problem: El Capitan consistently freezes while booting displaying one of the following behaviors:

1. Progress bar will get about half way, and then the screen goes white and doesn't load.

2. Progress bar will get about half way, and then I get a garbled (graphics) bar across the screen, and then it goes to a white and doesn't load.

3. Progress bar will get about half way, then the screen goes blue and doesn't load (sometimes it will shut down after about 30 seconds to a minute).

4. Progress bar gets about half way and screen freezes.

Additionally, the machine will crash randomly either halting, or going to a blue screen (after which I have to begin the reboot process).

After multiple PRAM (Command Option P R) resets the machine will eventually boot (it sometimes takes 30 or more minutes), but there doesn't seem to be a reason why it eventually boots (I can't detect any kind of pattern).

These problems initially began when I upgraded to El Capitan. Finally, I gave up and did a complete, clean, reinstall of the OS. After a few days, they began occurring again. The only 3rd party software I have installed is ClipWrap, Tor, Office 2016, Trim Enabler (I've disabled), and Quicken 2015. I have looked for any offending kexts (as mentioned in the various fora), but don't seem to have any of them.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. When El Capitan is running properly, it's fantastic...but these crashes are driving me crazy.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:05 PM

According to Apple's specifications, that model can use at most 8 GB of memory, but you've installed 16 GB. The results are unpredictable. I know that the aftermarket RAM vendor says that the configuration will work. If you accept that assurance, please ask the vendor for help with any problems you have. Otherwise, reinstall the original memory, or new memory that meets the official specifications.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Bill LT S.

According to Apple's specifications, that model can use at most 8 GB of memory, but you've installed 16 GB. The results are unpredictable. I know that the aftermarket RAM vendor says that the configuration will work. If you accept that assurance, please ask the vendor for help with any problems you have. Otherwise, reinstall the original memory, or new memory that meets the official specifications.

Nov 29, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Thank you for the reply. What makes you think this is a RAM issue? Up to this point, I've had zero issues with any of the previous versions of OS X...and based on my reading of the forums, I'm certainly not the only individual having an issue with a 2011 Macbook Pro booting El Capitan.

In line with your recommendation, I will swap out the memory and test it with the factory installed memory (4GB). If that doesn't work, I'll write back.

Thank you again.

Dec 3, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Bill LT S.

You seem to have reproduced the problem with a clean installation, so it has to be caused by a hardware fault. If the memory isn't at fault, then something else is, such as the SSD or the SATA cable (which is often damaged when the internal drive is replaced.)

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Dec 3, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

I'm fairly confident that it's not the cable as I installed the drive years ago, and this is the first time that I've seen something wrong. I suppose it could be The SSD, but that is unlikely given the fact that I have had periods of perfect operation (running El Capitan)...and there are no diagnostics pointing to anything out of the ordinary. As other users have had issues with El Capitan, why do you conclude that it must be a hardware problem? Could it not be a software issue?

Dec 3, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, that is correct. To clarify, this began following a routine install of El Capitan (no problems with Mavericks), which prompted me to perform a clean install. I suppose I could reinstall Mavericks and that would provide us with the answer...others have tried this and these similar booting problems seem to disappear (based on the forums).

Dec 9, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

After some additional testing, I have another theory that seems to be borne out in other sources. After removing Trim Enabler, as well as disabling Trimforce, the computer has been running normally (for a couple of days now). Based on the forums I have reviewed, there have been associated issues with Samsung 8XX series SSDs and Trim support in Linux. While I have no direct evidence to support that this is an issue with the SSD (I have been very happy with my Samsung 840 EVO SSD since I purchased it a couple of years ago), this has, thus far, seemed to alleviate the problem. I will continue to monitor and report back. One additional item, I have updated to the latest El Capitan build, and with Trimforce enabled, the problem persisted. Following my disabling it, it has completely disappeared (for now).

Jan 3, 2016 5:54 PM in response to Bill LT S.

After testing the machine for a few weeks, I have made a discovery. Following my previous post, I contacted Apple and was told that the hard drive was likely the problem. After purchasing a new hard drive (Crucial MX200) and reinstalling the El Capitan, I again ran into the problem. At this point I searched for other possible incompatibilities, and discovered an old printer driver for my Canon 860MX. Because there was not an updated driver for El Capitan, I purchased a new printer (Epson), and uninstalled the Canon drivers. Yet the machine would eventually exhibit the same behavior. Pouring through the forums, I discovered that other users were seeing blue screens or garbled video associated with failing GPUs due, perhaps, to overheating. It was at this point that I purchased the App Temperature Gauge and begin to audit the temperature of the GPU. While the GPU never reached beyond 70C, I was shocked to see my CPU reach temperatures beyond 100C particularly when other accounts were enabled, and processor intensive Apps like Photos were running. Had I not noted the temperature spike and shut down the Apps, I probably would have run into the same problem again. Because Apple's logic-board replacement program doesn't seem to cover my Macbook Pro (according to website and to customer service), I will need to attempt to replace the thermal paste on the logic board. Following a hopefully successful replacement, I will report back on the results.

Jan 9, 2016 12:59 PM in response to Bill LT S.

I have successfully replaced the thermal paste and begun testing the machine. The first thing I've noted is that despite the boot problems continuing, I was able to boot into restore mode (a first), perhaps due to my machine no longer overheating and either crashing or shutting down prior to restore mode booting. Upon a reinstallation of the operating system, the boot problems have once again gone away. I am more convinced that this is an issue with El Capitan that may have been exasperated by my machine overheating. Of additional note to this hypothesis: When I replaced my SSD with the factory drive (that has a a previous version of OS X installed), the machine booted right away. Following my replacing the factory drive with the SSD, the machine booted normally again...but then crashed and resumed the booting issues when I tried to login to another account. It was at this point that I thought to try restore mode one more time...this time with success. I will continue to test and burn in the thermal paste and report back.

El Capitan Freezing on Boot and Randomly Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.