Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adobe case sensitive volume

I'm having some trouble with my retina macbook pro (purchased new from Apple four months ago)

The SSD corrupted on me and would not boot, so I had to do an internet recovery. Discovered there was an SSD firmware upgrade after I managed to get my machine back up. Applied that. All has been well since then.

But today I tried to install Adobe CC so that I could restore my Photoshop CC installation. I get an error telling me that the installer does not support case sensitive volumes.

When I check disk utility, my SSD shows up as a 'logical volume group' (with a partition type of 'Mac OS Extended Journaled'

Under that is the actual visible disk (Mac HD) and it shows up as a 'logical partition'

I don't recall doing anything special when doing the internet recovery, or choosing any funky options. Yet, here I am. I've spent a lot of time restoring apps and such. Any recommendations? I sense some kind of reformat is in my future.

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 11:21 AM

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 12:24 PM in response to Avicdar

You should be able to use either of the third-party applications "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "SuperDuper" (free for this purpose) to copy your case-sensitive volume to an empty case-insensitive one. Please make at least two such copies on different drives. One is not enough to be safe.

If there are any name conflicts—that is, files in the same folder with names that differ only in case, such as "File" and "file"—then you will either get an error or one of the files won't be copied. You must ensure either that no such conflicts exist, or that the consequences are not important. How you do that is up to you. Unless you went out of your way to create conflicts, they probably don't exist.

Then erase the source volume in Disk Utility as case-insensitive. This action will remove all data from the volume. If the volume is the startup volume, you must start up in Recovery mode or from another drive in order to erase it.

Restore from one of your backups using the same application you used to create it, or use the "Restore" feature of Disk Utility, which will be faster. Search its built-in help for the term "duplicate" if you need instructions.

Nov 29, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks!

I think the only small wrinkle in this is that in order to be able to use CCC to restore from the backup, I will need to make a bootable OS X drive first, but that's not a problem (i.e. I need a separate bootable drive to enable CCC to be run after the original system disk is wiped)

That's likely the way to go. I just happen to have a new unused external drive at home.

thank you for your help!

adobe case sensitive volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.