Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Neither Bluetooth Pairing nor Handoff work between iPhone 6s and Macbook Pro 2014

Of course I have my MacBook on El Capitan and Handoff enabled on both devices... When trying to pair from Mac, it normally asks me if the code is correct on iPhone... I click yes and then it says connected on Mac for 10 seconds or so, but on the iPhone it is not connected. When it is in "My devices" on mac, I double-click and then it doesn't even ask for the code, it just says on my Macbook "Network is unavailable. Make sure network access is enabled". When I try to connect from iPhone, it says either "Device not supported" or "Connection unsuccessful. Make sure the device is turned on and in range". I know that for Handoff, pairing is not needed, however, when I type an e-mail or a note, it just doesn't come up on the opposite device even though I followed the instructions of course..! I would be really glad if someone could help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:13 PM

Kustrio wrote:

... I know that for Handoff, pairing is not needed ...

Not only is pairing not needed, it is not possible to pair an iPhone with a computer except for use as a personal hotspot.

The following may have something that will help with the Handoff issues: Get help using Continuity with your iOS device or your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Kustrio

Kustrio wrote:

... I know that for Handoff, pairing is not needed ...

Not only is pairing not needed, it is not possible to pair an iPhone with a computer except for use as a personal hotspot.

The following may have something that will help with the Handoff issues: Get help using Continuity with your iOS device or your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 29, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Kustrio

Kustrio wrote:

Thank you for your reply! Why is it impossible? ...

If you mean why is Bluetooth pairing an iPhone with a computer for any use other than personal hotspot impossible, the answer is that the iPhone is designed that way. The following link has more information about that: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with another iOS device or with my computer?

The fact that the two devices will not Bluetooth pair is not why Handoff isn't working -- that is something other issue.

Apr 27, 2016 1:38 PM in response to Kustrio

I am frustrated by this same issue, and this is the only thread I can find that discusses it. Any luck on resolving this?

My goal is to get my messaging to work on my laptop from my phone. I tried to activate Text Message Forwarding on my iPhone 6s, and it wants me to eeter the code sent to my macbook Pro, but that code never surfaces on the laptop. I have followed all the Apple support instructions, yet it still doesn't want to pair (it tries for a second, then dumps it). It also tells me I need to enable Network Access, but I can't seem to do this either. There's a place under the bluetooth drop down for my phone, but it keeps giving me the error message. "Network in Unavailable. Make sure network access is enabled". Very frustrating for an Apple product.

PLEASE NOTE: I can do all this between iPone 6s and my iPad.

Neither Bluetooth Pairing nor Handoff work between iPhone 6s and Macbook Pro 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.