Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help me please! Numbers crashing

It happens when I enter browsing versions mode (looks like Time machine interface). Usually when I exit it the first time all is OK, but when I re-enter it immediately after and wish to exit for the second time Numbers crashes. Numbers v.2.1 (iWork'09 updated to iWork'11). How do I fix it?

Here's the crash log you can view following this link:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=73860c9d18f2ffbe!173&authkey=!AEoti_8OrBAa mKA&ithint=file%2ctxt

Mac OS X (10.7.5), MacBook Pro 15.4 mid-2012

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 10:42 AM

7 replies

Nov 29, 2015 4:26 PM in response to scrutinizer82

Hi scrutinizer,

Numbers '09 may have been updated to the last version (v 2.3), but it's still Numbers '09, and part of iWork '09, the last version (so far) to include a date in its name. If it has been updated, About Numbers in the Numbers menu will identify it as Numbers '09 version 2.3.

That said, I haven't had a similar experience, so I'm not able to guess at the cause or the cure. I do hope another poster to this community can provide a fix.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 30, 2015 2:19 AM in response to Barry

Barry wrote:

Hi scrutinizer,

Numbers '09 may have been updated to the last version (v 2.3), but it's still Numbers '09, and part of iWork '09, the last version (so far) to include a date in its name. If it has been updated, About Numbers in the Numbers menu will identify it as Numbers '09 version 2.3.

Hey, Barry

Yes, you were right it does shows this version info. I needed pre-2013 iWork so I bought iWork'09 DVD this year and then updated via Software Update mechanism up to 9.1 and after some delay (I'm rather conservative about upgrades and updates, so I'm not throwing myself on every novelty I come across) managed to update to 9.2, NOT 9.3 as I heard it deals badly with export to ePUB and was aimed mainly at integration with iOS which I don't care about. My system was Lion when I purchased my mid-2012 non-Retina Mac two years ago, so I figured out that in fact I bought older iWork version (instead of iWork'11 DVD that was also available). Do you think there're some differences and they could affect performance?

update to 9.2 resolved - as of this time mark at least - crashing issue (hope I'm not endangering the success).

Nov 30, 2015 10:37 AM in response to scrutinizer82

Curious where you are getting those version numbers. The latest version of Numbers 3 is 3.6.1. The latest version of Numbers 2 (part of iWork '09) is 2.3. There is no such thing as Numbers 9.2 or 9.3.

If you're running Numbers 2 you definitely want to be on 2.3, to avoid crashing problems.

Since Numbers 2 is "orphanware" in the sense that it is over 6 years old and is no longer being developed, there may come a day where it won't work. So it might be a good idea to start easing into Numbers 3. It's matured into a capable app since its early releases, and is about far more than "integration with iOS."

Both versions 2 and 3 are stable on my system. I now tend to update fairly promptly because a lot of updates these days squash bugs and result in a better user experience. That's different from the old days when updates carried much more "early adoption" risk.

SG

Nov 30, 2015 2:15 PM in response to SGIII

I meant iWork 9.2, not Numbers 9.2. And my operating system is Lion which is compatible and which I'm planning to stick with for a while. So no option for me to use newer versions, but to be honest, I'm fully satisfied with iWork 9 features, it's just some issues, regarding performance. As I noted, iWork Update 9.2 resolved crashing issue (I HOPE).

Nov 30, 2015 2:20 PM in response to SGIII

If you must use Numbers 2 for various reasons then make sure you're running Numbers 2.3. You can check that in your menu via Numbers > About Numbers.

As time goes on it seems highly likely you are going to experience more and more issues "regarding performance" if you stick with ancient (in computer terms) OS and apps.

SG

Dec 1, 2015 8:35 AM in response to SGIII

SGIII wrote:

As time goes on it seems highly likely you are going to experience more and more issues "regarding performance" if you stick with ancient (in computer terms) OS and apps.

SG

Though a bit irrelevant I'll choose to respond: it's a myth. Performance issues are due to either compatibility issue or native bugs. If you're going to stick with both older OS and complementing software, then the performance can't degrade on a simple basis of relying on unsupported versions, unless the hardware failures occur due to natural run out of mechanical parts so it's not software-related. Now If I upgraded my OS and tried to use older apps then this would be the only scenario when in your words "likely you are going to experience more and more issues "regarding performance" if you stick with ancient (in computer terms) OS and apps".

Dec 1, 2015 8:42 AM in response to scrutinizer82

scrutinizer82 wrote:

SGIII wrote:

SG

Though a bit irrelevant I'll choose to respond: it's a myth.

Not a myth here. My old hardware and software doesn't run so well anymore, and apparently yours doesn't either. Technology marches on. It's an interconnected world, and Apple has all kinds of shiny new stuff to sell to you (or make available to you for download for free)!

SG

Help me please! Numbers crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.