Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages crashes when I open one specific file.

Opening this document freezes Pages both on the Pages for mac app, and on iCloud.com. It does not open in Preview.

This file was created on the mac, saved in the iCloud drive, and edited both on the mac and on iCloud.com. The problem appeared after editing it online.

Is there a way to repair such a file, or at least recover some of its content ?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:07 PM

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 3:57 PM in response to gsuffran

Pages v5 is essentially Medusa in software form. If neither Pages for iCloud, Pages v5.6.1 on OS X, or Preview can not open it, then it has turned to stone, and is unrecoverable. Apple has made certain that the encrypted document contents are incompatible with any software on earth. Now you know why Apple is either giving it away for free, or charging $20 to give you a glimpse of Medusa.

Nov 30, 2015 1:49 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your response ! By chance, and oddly, one of my attempts caused the file to open and not crash the Pages app for 6 seconds, which allowed me to select all / copy / paste it on an other file.

Now my Pages app is totally unusable because it always reopens the corrupt file and crashes instantly, but I recovered most of the contents !

I seem to have no mean to stop the app from reopening the file at each start, even after deleting Pages and getting a fresh one from the App store. Using the "close windows when quitting an application setting" does not change anything.

The problem has changed, but the 60 pages are safe.

Pages crashes when I open one specific file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.