Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Mac Book Pro Randomly Rebooting

My computer keeps restarting on its own so I went to Mac and they then performed a diagnostic test. The results showed no hardware issues, other than one yellow, the Battery (it was operating at 90%). An employee told me it was a software problem and suggested I run a virus scan. Then he instructed me, “if the problem persists, reformat your computer.” Following his instructions, I did what he suggested.

Fast forward.

I uploaded all my pictures, videos, & documents onto an external drive and reformatted my computer. After up dating to OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.1) and downloading my files back onto my computer, the random restarts continued (once a week). Sometimes the computer will display the figure below before restarting.

User uploaded file

I was running diagnostics as follows when this happened:

1. Shutdown Computer
  2. Power on
  3. Quickly Press & Hold
  4. D Command

My computer started beeping 3 times in a row, which indicates the ram was loose or not installed. After resting the computer worked fine. Then the problem just happened again, same 3 beeps, but this time the ram wasn’t rested and the computer is working now. So what’s happening to my computer? I have performed a failure analysis and came up with these potentials causes: Microsoft Word, Hard Drive, Ram, or Video Card.

Microsoft could be it for the reason that it won’t show up on the diagnostic nor a virus scanner. I recently installed 2015 Microsoft Word from my college, but could Word have a bug in it?

I notice sometimes it will restart when its on my lap (the computer could be sitting unleveled). That’s why believe it maybe my hard drive.

The Video card because of the image I am getting when my computer freezes.

The ram because of the three beeps.

Has anyone else experienced this or is aware of any conflicts with the 2015 Word & Mac?

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:24 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2015 12:40 PM in response to KightTimeParty

If it is a

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)

Then maybe this

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Otherwise it seems you have a hardware problem. Apple Diagnostics/Hardware test misses many problems

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Nov 29, 2015 3:44 PM in response to KightTimeParty

An employee told me it was a software problem and suggested I run a virus scan.

It's shocking that an Apple Retail employee can be that incompetent and still keep his job. Maybe that's why he was unable to diagnose your obvious hardware problem. You should have better luck at another Apple Store, or with another employee at the same store—I hope.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.