Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reference a cell from another worksheet

I have been unable to find the answer in the other answered questions.

Formulas/Formats stop working - or are not saved the next time i use the spreadsheet?

I have a totals sheet that references a cell from each of my other sheets - I use the equals sign and then the cell Im referencing =Sheet::Table::Cell

For some of the cells it is working, but for others, it is not - I have updated the formulas a few times so they were working, but later I see that they are no longer working - so Im thinking theres possibly some kind of cell protection going on, but I don't know enough about it to figure it out obviously.

Here are screenshots of what I'm talking about. Im also noticing that my date formats are not saving - they actually seem to be changing - as you can see on the last date for the November payment...

Why are some formulas not working and what is causing my formulas and formats not to be saved?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 10:48 AM

12 replies

Nov 29, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Andj606

HI Andj',

Not enough information to determine what is wrong or why.

I see two tables, each with a selected cell.

The formula bar for the first shows a reference to cell E128 on Table 1 of the sheet "Bundrant B2/B22" and the selecte cell displays the amount 5.25.

The formula editor for the second shows a reference to a different cell, E126, on the same table, and the selected cell displays the amount 6.25.

I assume that neither of the screen shots shows (part of) Table 1 on the sheet "Bundrant B2/B22."

What do cells E126 and E128 on that table contain?

Regarding the date in row 125 of the second table: This is a format change—the setting for Time (of day) has been changed from 'none' to the format shown.

All dates or times in Numbers are actually Date and Time values representing an instant in time. Both parts (Date and Time) are always present, but not always displayed. Select the cell, click the Format brust, choose Cell and format as Date and Time with time set to none an date set to the format you want.

With the information supplied, I don't know what caused the format to change on this cell.

Rgards,

Barry

Nov 30, 2015 2:58 AM in response to Andj606

My file contains statements - each table in its own tabbed sheet is a statement. The last sheet contains one table with the balances from all of the statements(tables)

The first screenshot below (Balances)shows that the selected cell (E5) SHOULD reference Daugherty A3:: Table 1 ::D72, returning a value of $330.00 (in the bottom of the first screenshot, it even says "formula result 330" So why is the value in the selected cell (E5) still $285?

The second screenshot is the statement table/cell that is being referenced in the first screenshot.

I have updated all the formulas on my balance table to calculate correctly and changed the date formats on my statement tables to be consistent, but when I go back in to change the statements (add new monthly charges and payments) , I find that some dates have changed to a different date/time format and many of my formulas are not calculating correctly. So - the problem I'm having is that my formats and/or formulas are not always locked in and/or are simply not working after I have saved and return to the file.

Note: My file is saved on a jump drive if that makes any difference.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Andj606

Note, you can see that the last few dates on the statement table (second screenshot)are formatted differently, although EVERY month I change the date formats to be consistent. WHAT is going on with the formats and formulas???? I know you're thinking I should be using invoicing software but so far I don't like any I have seen. Spreadsheets allow more flexibility. although I'm open to suggestions

Nov 30, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne, I have probably entered them in different ways and I format the entire column. But why would it change later? Shouldn't it hold the format that you set it to?

Most of the time, I probably enter November 12, 2015 as 11/12 which, the way I have it formatted, returns as Nov 12, 2015 - but when I come back to the table in two months, it could look like 11/12 or November 12, 2015 07:10AM -

There are frequent updates to Numbers. Could this be causing this to happen?

Nov 30, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Wayne Contello

When I opened this document I can see that the date column has cells with different format selections. This is evident from the "—" before "Automatic" and "Date & Time" in the "Date Format" menu of the cell formatter:

User uploaded file

to resolve this, select any cell in the table, then select the column (by clicking the "A" at the top of the column), now open the cell formatter and select "Date & Time":

User uploaded file

Now use the "Date" and "Time" menus of the "Date & Time" formatter. In the "Date" formatter you can see you current document has 4 different selections. Choose the single on you want WHILE THE date column is selected. Now set the "Time" to "None" since you do not want to show the time. User uploaded file

Repeat as needed for each persons sheet

Nov 30, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Andj606

Andj606 wrote:

WHAT is going on with the formats and formulas????

Assuming Wayne has helped you fix the date formats, do you still have strange problems with the formulas? If so, a relevant question would be to ask whether this is a "legacy" document in the sense that you first created it in Numbers 2 (or Excel) and then later brought it into Numbers 3. If that is the case, then your best bet might be to create a new document in Numbers 3 and reconstruct the formulas from scratch. Some documents just don't seem to import well into Numbers 3.

SG

Nov 30, 2015 6:23 PM in response to SGIII

The problem is NOT that I don't know how to format dates. The problem is #1: that the formats and formulas are not always saving forward and #2 formulas are not calculating correctly

I have formatted everything the way I wanted it and have the formulas that I want in place - they have been in place for three years - the problem is that sometimes the formulas just do not work as you can see from my last screenshot - the formula should be returning the value of $330.00, not $285 -using a pretty basic spreadsheet function

Last month I reentered all the formulas that weren't working so that they worked and now many are not working again. Same thing with the date formats - I updated all of them already and a month later they have changed.

Yes - This document was created three or more years ago in an earlier version of numbers Recreating this entire document would be a nightmare. I could recreate the balances table that contains the problematic formulas but then do I have to constantly verify that my formulas are working?- shouldn't this program perform the basic functions of a spreadsheet?

Nov 30, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Andj606

Andj606 wrote:

Yes - This document was created three or more years ago in an earlier version of numbers Recreating this entire document would be a nightmare. I could recreate the balances table that contains the problematic formulas but then do I have to constantly verify that my formulas are working?- shouldn't this program perform the basic functions of a spreadsheet?

If the document was created in an earlier version of Numbers and it is exhibiting this behavior after being imported into Numbers 3, I would HIGHLY recommend starting a new document in Numbers 3. You can copy-paste data into the new document, then rebuild the formulas there.

If you have adopted good spreadsheet design then you will have only a handful of formulas to reconstruct anyway. If you find you do have lots of different formulas then this might be an ideal opportunity to redesign and simplify so you have the data in an efficient form and just a few formulas that operate on that data.

Having a look at the templates that come with Numbers 3 (at File > New in your menu) can be very helpful in seeing what is good design in Numbers. In general is not best practices in Numbers to have a formula in the middle of tables at E127 or D72 surrounded by a bunch of blank rows (as shown in the screenshots). Numbers (and indeed recent versions of Excel) works much better with compact tables containing data in the body rows and formulas in Footer Rows or in separate summary tables.

SG

Nov 30, 2015 7:36 PM in response to Andj606

I have been looking at the formulas and while there is an easy selection of formulas I am not 100% certain the modifications are OK.

Summary of the document:

1) a sheet to summarize the balance from each of may sheets

2) many sheets which each represent a tenant (or unit in a rental facility)

- A single table which contains

A) tenant information

B) payment information

Here is a list of proposed changes:

0) Name each sheet by the unit only e.g. "A1" or "T1" or "B2", etc

1) in the sheet for each unit (or tenant) split the single table into

A) tenant information (and name the table "Tenant Information")

B) balance information for this tenant (and name this table "Balance")

2) select both tables on each sheet and and make the table title visible (in the Table formatter)

3) in the "Balance" table remove the formula that calculates the current balance

4) make the first row of each table a header row

Like this I made up some new tabs :

Sheet T1:

User uploaded file

Sheet T2:

User uploaded file

Sheet T3:

User uploaded file

Now the summary sheet:

User uploaded file

Add a new column (if you want) to show the tenants name and update the formulas as follows (assuming you add the tenant name column):

D3=IFERROR(IF(COUNTA(B3:C3)<2, "",VLOOKUP("Tenant:", INDIRECT(B3&C3&"::Tenant Information::A:B",TRUE), 2, 0) ), "SHEET NOT FOUND")

this is shorthand for... select cell D3, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=IFERROR(IF(COUNTA(B3:C3)<2, "",VLOOKUP("Tenant:", INDIRECT(B3&C3&"::Tenant Information::A:B",TRUE), 2, 0) ), "SHEET NOT FOUND")

select cell D3, copy

select cells D3 thru the end of column D (omit the summary rows at the bottom), paste

F3=IFERROR(SUM(INDIRECT(B3&C3&"::Balance::E",TRUE))−SUM(INDIRECT(B3&C3&"::Balanc e::D",TRUE)), "")

select cell F3, copy

select cells F3 thru the end of column F (omit the summary rows at the bottom), paste

The sheet names MUST match the entries in columns B and C AND

you will have to split the multiple entries of multiple units in a single cell into multiple rows:

like this:

User uploaded file

I will return the document you emailed me with these modifications via email. Normally I would share via dropbox but I did not sanitize the whole document such that it can be shared this way.

Nov 30, 2015 7:58 PM in response to Andj606

I think my reply covers some of what SG was addressing... namely the spreadsheet formula design was not suitable for your application. You did very well, but the method was not extensible (that is conveniently extended to many).

I proposed a solution that is more extensible.W.R.T.:

"Yes - This document was created three or more years ago in an earlier version of numbers Recreating this entire document would be a nightmare. I could recreate the balances table that contains the problematic formulas but then do I have to constantly verify that my formulas are working?- shouldn't this program perform the basic functions of a spreadsheet? "

The spreadsheet is doing its' job but was not properly programmed. Like any programming we often want the program to do what we want and not what we tell it to do. Understanding the effects of moving and adding rows is essential in addition to understanding how how you want to work.

Please post back if you have questions with your document.

How to reference a cell from another worksheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.