Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD vs. Hard Drive

I have run across a lot of conversations where people have mentioned that they have switched to a SSD on their MacBook Pros. I am a car guy and slowly grasping the world of computers. Can someone explain to me the advantages of switching to a SSD? What is the cost associate with this and who can perform this upgrade for me?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:54 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2015 1:06 PM in response to brianchandler

First an SSD will be about 3 times as expensive than a conventional HDD of the same capacity.

It will boot, shutdown and run a MBP faster (for heavy duty applications) than a conventional HDD.

It will run a bit cooler and use less electrical resources than a HDD.

If you are a casual user, it is not essential, but becomes a bit of a luxury.

If you use a lot of resource intensive applications, especially in a vocational situation, it may very well pay for itself.

I have SSDs in 3 of my newest MBPs and have enjoyed having them, despite the cost.

If the bank account is lean, consider a hybrid drive that has some flash storage combined with a traditional HDD. They are generally referred to a SSHD's. The price is a slight premium over a conventional HDD.

Ciao

SSD vs. Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.