Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmarks imported from Chrome don't open on Safari

Hi,

I'm using OS X El Capitan; imported Bookmarks from Google Chrome to Safari;, when I click on the "Bookmarks" in Safari, pop-up says this:

There is no application set to open the URL chrome://bookmarks/.

And under the pop-up it says:

Safari can’t open the

specified address.

Safari can’t open “chrome://bookmarks/” because OS X doesn’t recognize Internet addresses starting with “chrome:”.

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:42 PM

15 replies

Nov 29, 2015 2:11 PM in response to FrancisCJ

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the item you moved. If possible, restore it from a backup that predates the problem.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Nov 29, 2015 5:45 PM in response to FrancisCJ

That alert is apparently caused by a third-party web plugin, but I don't know which one.

Please open the Safari preferences window and select the Security tab. Uncheck the box marked

Allow Plug-ins

Test. If the problem is resolved, re-check the box, then see below.

From the Safari menu bar, please select

Help Installed Plug-ins

Besides the following (either of which may be absent), what plugins are listed?

Java Applet Plug-in

Shockwave Flash

Nov 29, 2015 8:58 PM in response to FrancisCJ

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open. Restore the file named "Bookmarks.plist" in that folder from a backup that predates the unwanted changes.

If you don't have such a backup, but the bookmarks are still present on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch) that synchronizes with iCloud, then see below.

Back up your iOS devices. Turn off iCloud synchronization of Safari on all devices except one of those. Quit Safari and delete the bookmarks file on the Mac, then enable Safari sync on it. Launch Safari. The bookmarks should sync from the iOS device.

Nov 30, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Unfortunately this can't work either. I don't have any backup, as it is my brand new Mac, I was working on PC beforehand.

It cannot be restored from my iPhone either, as precisely it is already synced with the actual status on Safari through iCloud.

Maybe I was not clear enough: the Bookmarks themselves are visible in Safari on Mac, but the link "Bookmarks" in the "Favorites" of bookmarks shows this message of error I've posted previously. So when I go on my iPhone, I can see only the bookmarks which are in the "Favorites" (i.e. those which are on the Menu Bar in Chrome), but I can't open the others, as when I click on "Bookmarks" link it tells me "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid".

Thanks,

Nov 30, 2015 7:22 PM in response to FrancisCJ

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Dec 4, 2015 7:24 AM in response to FrancisCJ

So you logged in as Guest and launched Safari. It should have behaved as if you had never used it before. The default set of bookmarks, and no others, would be present. You did whatever it is you've been doing (I'm not quite sure what it is), and you saw that error message. Correct? And what exactly is the action that causes the error?

Dec 4, 2015 4:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

So you logged in as Guest and launched Safari.

Correct.

It should have behaved as if you had never used it before.

Correct.

The default set of bookmarks, and no others, would be present.

Correct.

You did whatever it is you've been doing (I'm not quite sure what it is),

Correct: opened Google Chrome, logged in and linked it to my account, then opened Safari, then went to File - Import From - Google Chrome... - Import. All my bookmarks from Chrome appeared: in "Favorites" - those which in Chrome are on the Bookmarks Bar, and then outside the "Favorites" - all the other. Inside the "Favorites" there's an icon called "Bookmarks" which is supposed to open ALL my bookmarks, not only "Favorites", but when I click on it appears that error message.

and you saw that error message. Correct?

Correct.

And what exactly is the action that causes the error?

Inside the "Favorites" there's an icon called "Bookmarks" which is supposed to open ALL my bookmarks, not only "Favorites", but when I click on it appears that error message.

Now I found myself another way how to open my remaining bookmarks in my iPhone: in Safari on my Mac I created a folder named "Bookmarks", put all those which where outside the "Favorites", and put that folder in the "Favorites". After syncing through iCloud, I can see that folder on my iPhone, open it and access to these missing bookmarks. It's not the regular way, but still it works.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Bookmarks imported from Chrome don't open on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.