Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto quits unexpectedly every time - help!

It is now Less unexpected as every time I open iPhoto 11 on my MAc mid 2011 running Os 10.8.5 iPhoto quits.

I have tried repairing library to no avail.

Is it time to restore from a time machine back up (is it as simple as that)?

Any help greatly appreciated

I am unable to post the error log as it contains invalid characters which is even more frustrating!!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:14 PM

iPhoto version iPhoto 9.4.3 is crashing right now, if the Info panel is selected when you launch iPhoto because the Google Maps servers are no longer available to provide places information.

Have a look at this discussion:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 12:14 PM in response to macman2579

iPhoto version iPhoto 9.4.3 is crashing right now, if the Info panel is selected when you launch iPhoto because the Google Maps servers are no longer available to provide places information.

Have a look at this discussion:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Dec 5, 2015 6:11 AM in response to léonie

Thanks! This worked for me, I was in a panic last night. So as I understand it, as long as I am off line iphoto works (tried it, it does) or if I remove googlemap.html & googlesearch.html which I have. This explains also why I'm not getting (shared) photos from icloud with shots taken with my iphone??

It might of taken me a while to make the connection. I did notice I had access to the iphoto library through imovie so I knew something was up.

Like someone else said there will most likely "not" be a fix from apple on this. Oh well, Thanks again for posting this.

Feb 28, 2016 1:02 AM in response to Joachim888

If you need to use the Places features, you could patch the Google files instead of removing them. cotton-x posted a fix: Basically you sign up as a developer with Google, acquire a private api key, and replace Apple's access key to the servers in the file by your own private key. Then the servers will respond again and iPhoto stop crashing.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9421

Iphoto quits unexpectedly every time - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.