Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing whole data from iPhone via iCloud.com

Hello,

I want to sell my old iPhone. Thus, I wanted to use the "remove" function in the settings to erase all data from the device. I had to enter my password for the Apple-ID, but surprisingly the display started to shake and I couldn't go on. I still can't figure out why that happened, as I definitely entered the right password.

Afterwards, I was successful in erasing the device via iCloud.com. I used the "erase iPhone" and "remove from acc." function. The device automatically started to erase everything and when I activate the device now, it says "Hello" etc.

I am not sure if all my personal data is erased from the iPhone now? I have my doubts, because the "erase iPhone" and "remove from acc." function are normally used when your iPhone has been stolen or lost somehow, I read.

My further question is: Can the new owner register with his Apple-ID without any complications? Not that the iPhone thinks that the device was stolen and prevents the new owner from configuring the device.

I hope, you get what I mean.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:46 PM

You should be fine. You've done what it says in this article under "If you no longer have your iOS device."

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you have any doubt (which you should not), set it up again as yours and then do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Tlokas21

You should be fine. You've done what it says in this article under "If you no longer have your iOS device."

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you have any doubt (which you should not), set it up again as yours and then do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Nov 29, 2015 10:27 PM in response to sberman

Thank you for your reply! I think I will be fine then.

May I ask you an additional question?

It is just for my understanding:

When I removed the device from iCloud, it says something like: "The device will be showed again, when a connection with the internet is built".

Do you know what this means?

As I said, I want to sell the device. Normally, the device should not appear in my iCloud-account anymore, after I have sold it to another person, should it? Even when the future owner connects the device with the internet.

The future owner shall register with his own Apple-ID. I wonder if this remark will impair the registration and configuration of the future owner somehow?

Erasing whole data from iPhone via iCloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.