Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

non-comaptible image format after el capitan update

I updated my imac to El Capitan about a month ago and as soon as I did, most of my Apeture library was lost (about 10 years of work). I thought no big deal, I backed it all up, but when I went to upload all of it I realized that I had backed-up all of my images not as originals but as apeture files. Not a big deal untill I uploaded everything and 90% of the images were blank with a "non compatible image format" message. Any suggestions or thoughts? Really bummed Apple is done with Apeture, for journalist style photographers it really was the premier program.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:53 PM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Sean_Powe11

Sean, could you explain a bit more?

and as soon as I did, most of my Apeture library was lost (about 10 years of work).

In what way was your Aperture library lost? Wa it not possible to update Aperture to version 3.6, so it would run on El Capitan? Or could Aperture not open the library?

I realized that I had backed-up all of my images not as originals but as apeture files.

Do you mean, your backup are Aperture libraries or vaults? Which version of Aperture?

Not a big deal untill I uploaded everything and 90% of the images were blank with a "non compatible image format" message.

Where did you upload the Aperture "files" to? which phot application are you using on El Capitan?

Nov 29, 2015 3:24 PM in response to léonie

. In what way was your Aperture library lost? Wa it not possible to update Aperture to version 3.6, so it would run on El Capitan? Or could Aperture not open the library?

- My library was lost in there were no files (images, primarily RAW files a few JPGS remained however) and I was already running 3.6

. Do you mean, your backup are Aperture libraries or vaults? Which version of Aperture?

- Libraries

. Where did you upload the Aperture "files" to? which phot application are you using on El Capitan?

- Apeture

Nov 29, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Sean_Powe11

What is the RAW format of your image files?

Try, if Aperture can still read the RAW format by copying one of the files out of the library and reimporting it. File > Export > Original should work, even if the format is not supported.

Then try to import it again. Is the file now supported? If Aperture does not recognize the format, test, if the Photos.app can read it. It uses the same RAW support. This will tell you, if the problem is Aperture specific or system specific.

Nov 30, 2015 1:15 AM in response to Sean_Powe11

Have you ctrl-clicked (or right-clicked) the Aperture Library in the Finder?

The contextual menu pooping up should be looking like this:

User uploaded file

And "Show Package Contents" should be showing you all folders inside your Aperture library.

If the Library has been opened by Aperture 3.6, it should look like this:

User uploaded file

If there is no Masters folder in an Aperture 3.6 library, Aperture is referencing the original image files outside the Aperture library. Then you need to restore the folders with the referenced original files as well.

To test if your original files are referenced and have not been imported into the library create a smart album:

File > New > Smart album.

Click "Add Rule" and add the rule "File Status is referenced".

Make a second smart album wth the rule: "File Status is missing".

Are your files referenced and missing?

User uploaded file

non-comaptible image format after el capitan update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.