Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 not working with Homesharing

27" iMac, late 2013. iTunes is up to date and so is the iMac.

Apple TV 4 with software up to date.

Homesharing is working with other devices but not on the ATV. I have restarted both the iMac and the ATV, I have also reset the ATV. I have also made sure that both the ATV and the iMac are on the same network. I have also reset my modem. I have a wireless connection for all my devices. I have tested my internet speed on several sites with results showing between 100 and 125 Mbps download speed.

Every time I turn on homesharing on the ATV and enter my password it tells me to turn on homesharing. Homesharing is already on, it shows so in iTunes. It also shows there are no devices connected. I have made sure that my iMac is awake and still nothing. iTunes is also on during all of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Apple TV (4th generation), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:04 PM

16 replies

Nov 30, 2015 11:50 AM in response to bigschwabbel

- I just tried to ping the ATV4 from my iMac, this is what showed up...

64 bytes from "myimac": icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=115.545 ms

- My firewall is not active on my iMac.

- It wouldn't be easy to connect an ethernet cable to the ATV4, but I can try. Do I connect the ethernet from my ATV to my computer or to the modem?

Sorry, I'm a little lost with too much tech. I had to look up how to ping! 😟

Nov 30, 2015 1:14 PM in response to MalusMalum

You were able to ping your ATV. That's good. But an answer time of over 115 ms is way too long for a local network. 1 or 2 ms would be ok, but 115 ms indicate that something isn't well configured on your network. My answer times pinging servers on the other side of the world are shorter than that.

To make sure your iMac and your ATV are working properly together I'd connect them directly to each other, with no networking device in between. But then you'd have to configure both network cards (the one in your iMac and the one in your ATV) manually, as you won't be able to obtain automatically assigned IP addresses, if that's how your network is configured.

If the above procedure doesn't work, then either your iMac or your ATV is broken or miss-configured (assuming that the ethernet cable is OK).

If the above procedure does work, then your network is miss-configured.

Nov 30, 2015 1:26 PM in response to MalusMalum

Did I get that right? Your ATV4 and your iMac were able to talk to each other via Home Sharing until last Thursday? That information is new.

How did you reset your ATV4? Did you reboot it via user interface? Did you restart it by unplugging the power cord? Or was it a factory reset?

What did you change in your setup on Thursday/Friday, at around the time it stopped working?

Nov 30, 2015 1:30 PM in response to bigschwabbel

Yes, it's only been having these issues since Friday.

I restarted the ATV via the user interface, not by unplugging the cord. I also did a factory reset to see if that would help. It did not.

The only thing that changed was that we put up our LED Christmas lights in the house. But seeing as only the ATV is having problems I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Besides, it's having issues even when the lights are not plugged in.

Nov 30, 2015 2:30 PM in response to MalusMalum

Do you have more than one AppleID?

Are you using the same AppleID for both devices, iMac and ATV4?

You have two iMacs. Do both of them have an iTunes library that you're sharing on your network?

Are you connecting to the right library?

Did you try shutting down all other components in your setup, leaving only your main iMac, your ATV4 and your wifi device active?

Is there anybody else in your household who might have changed something in your setup?

Are there other wifi networks nearby? A neighbor might have changed his/her setup, which might be interfering with your's now.

There is so many variables. I could go on and on with my questions until ATV5 comes out and beyond. It's pretty pointless, until you make sure your ATV4 isn't actually broken. The easiest way would be the use of an ethernet cable. Another way would be to bring your ATV4 to an Apple Store or an authorized Apple Service Provider and have them check it. Not sure if it would cost you money.

Nov 30, 2015 2:29 PM in response to bigschwabbel

- I only have one AppleID

-Both devices are on the same AppleID

-Only my 2013 iMac has an iTunes library. I am able to access the library that I have on my 2013 iMac via home sharing on my 2010 iMac.

-Only have one library

-I have tried shutting down everything

-Nobody else would change anything. I have checked to make all setting are correct

-There are lots of other networks, it's possible they may be interfering. I would have no idea how to stop that though

-I have tried connecting with two different ethernet cords, didn't help

As an FYI, I just got off the phone with Apple. They went through everything and were not able to come up with a solution. They even checked the settings on my computer via screen sharing. They did come up with a work around, playing my iTunes library via AirPlay. That is not acceptable though, my library was accessible on my ATV4 until Friday. I don't want to run to my computer every time I want to watch something.

I am taking the ATV4 into the Apple Store to have them check it out or replace it. Wish me luck and thank you for all the help and suggestions. 😎

Dec 1, 2015 8:51 AM in response to MalusMalum

If anyone is interested, I did find a solution to this.

I had checked iTunes preferences, under sharing it showed that sharing was on and no users connected. As I stated above, the problem continued.

I decided to double check that home sharing was actually on by going to File/Home Sharing. Here it showed that Home Sharing was actually OFF, despite iTunes showing that it was ON under preferences. I turned Home Sharing on and now everything is fine.

So, do not rely on the Preferences tab to make sure your Home Sharing is on. Double check under File/Home Sharing.

And by the way, I never turned Home Sharing off. Hope this helps somebody.

Dec 1, 2015 12:55 PM in response to MalusMalum

I'm glad to hear you found the error.

Just to clarify for anybody reading this:

What you find in iTunes -> Preferences -> Sharing has absolutely nothing to do with Home Sharing. It's a means of sharing your iTunes library in XML format for other apps on other computers on your local network, like for movie or music editing apps.

Only via iTunes -> File -> Home Sharing you can actually enable/disable Home Sharing.

Apple TV 4 not working with Homesharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.