Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help migrating from 2007 macbook to 2015 macbook pro

I am helping a friend migrate their files and system info from their old 2007 macbook to a new 2015 macbook pro.

They had been backing their macbook up with time machine, but the new computer will not recognize the time machine backup because the operating system is too old.

So....I am thinking to directly connect the computers, booting the older computer in target mode.

Problem is new computer has thunderbolt, older computer has firewire (400).

I can buy a thunderbolt to firewire (800) adapter for $29, and then a firewire 800 to 400 for another $10.

This should get me connected. But will this connection support booting the older device in target mode so that I can use migration assistant to transfer files?

I hate to spend $40 if it won't work.

Or, would I be better off just getting a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter for the new Mac Pro, and then directly connecting the devices with an ethernet cable.

Still costs $29, but the thunderbolt to ethernet would probably be more useful than the thunderbolt to firewire 800, as she has no other firewire devices to connect.

Anybody have any advice or experience with a similar setup?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 4:31 PM

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 10:22 PM in response to leroydouglas

However, if I am correct, target disk mode only works with thunderbolt and firewire.

So using the ethernet cable would not allow target disk mode.

I am assuming it would also then be a little slower (than using the firewire/thunderbolt hookup)?

But it would still allow migration assistant to perform the file transfer?

Our goal is to transfer all files, applications and personal settings (mail settings, etc.) as simply as possible.

Time is not a huge factor, so if all the ethernet cable does is run a little slower, we can live with that.

Need help migrating from 2007 macbook to 2015 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.