Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to limit display messages (Gmail iPhone 6s)

Hello,

I want to limit the number of messages displayed in the Mail app from the iPhone 6s, right now all my messages are displayed.

I synchronised a Gmail account but in the preferences there's no "mail days to sync". This option is available on a friend's iphone 5 with a outlook account configured.

Does somebody know how to limit these messages for a Gmail account in an iphone 6s?

Thank you,

B.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:09 PM

The ability to determine how many days to sync for mail is only available for Exchange accounts. There are no settings like that for POP or IMAP accounts.

5 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:09 PM in response to BM3189

Depending on the type of mail account you have, POP mail would have to be deleted, or moved to other folders on the computer. POP mail is downloaded from the server to the individual iPhone, and whatever you do on the phone itself does not impact the server or other mail accounts. The only exception is if you download mail first to the phone and no other mail clients and then have the phone set to delete the mail from the server. In that case, the mail only exists on the iPhone and no where else.

For IMAP, mail is synced between the server and any and all clients. So, if you are using an IMAP account and pick up mail from your phone and your computer, for example, then anything you do on one is reflected in the others, since the mail is actually just housed on the server, and is just accessed by the clients. Delete something from the phone, and it is deleted from the computer and the server. If you move mail from the inbox to another folder, then it would not show as much in the inbox on the phone. It allows you to still save mail, but not have to always be searching the inbox. You can create folders to hold mail, based on subject or whatever you wish to use to handle it by.

That is the only explanation I can provide, since there are no other options to limit the number of messages.

How to limit display messages (Gmail iPhone 6s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.