Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme signal with comcast slower than comcasts router

hi all,

I was using a two in one modem/router and getting upload 48mpbs / 12 download and now after installing the apple AE it's the same. I disabled the wifi signal from comcast's router via their bridge setup. i've changed the following from another discussion i saw also. still nothing. any help would be greatly appreciated. i've also reset and turned off the router/modem several times.

steps i've tried:

3. Fix the wireless channels.. 11 or 8 on 2.4ghz and 149 for 5ghz if that is available where you area. You can choose 36 but that might slow it down.. however for a second trial if you still have issues.. a second channel is worth a go.. it might not move.

5. Make sure in the wireless setup on the laptop you have ipv6 set to link-local only.

thanks all.

kyle

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 3:41 PM

15 replies

Nov 29, 2015 4:18 PM in response to kyfish10

I was using a two in one modem/router and getting upload 48mpbs / 12 download and now after installing the apple AE it's the same.

This is normal and expected. After all, the AirPort Extreme is only going to be as fast.....or slow....as the signal that Comcast provides. In other words, the AirPort Extreme.....or any other router.....cannot take the Internet signal that it receives and make it go faster.

If you want a faster Internet connection, you will need to speak to Comcast about a faster....and of course, more expensive......Internet connection plan.

Nov 29, 2015 4:38 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, I appreciate the response but both before and after switching to the new AE router I tested the speeds using a hardwire ethernet connection. The speed jumped up to 98-120mbps download both before and then after using the AE. If it's now 48-50mbps wouldn't that suggest something is off with the AE or somewhere else? I'd expect a difference between using the ethernet and wifi but that's a huge drop. Or am I off base?

Nov 29, 2015 5:11 PM in response to kyfish10

OK, this is getting very confusing.

Please start over and connect your laptop directly to your modem/router using an Ethernet cable to find out what the true speed of your Internet connection speed might be. If you are paying for 150 Mbps, then it should be at least that and higher.

If you get 100 Mbps, something is wrong with the signal from Comcast or a setting on the modem/router may need to be checked and adjusted.

Then, check the speed by connecting to one of the LAN ports on the AirPort Extreme. It should be about the same as the speed when you check when the computer is connected directly to the modem.

It makes no sense to try to troubleshoot a wireless connection unless you know that Ethernet is working correctly first, so we'll get to wireless once we understand what is happening with the Ethernet connection.

So, for now, we need to know 2 things:

1) What is the speed when you connect your computer directly to the modem/router?

2) What is the speed when you re-connect the Airport Extreme to the modem/router and check one of the LAN ports on the AirPort?

Nov 29, 2015 5:36 PM in response to kyfish10

sorry for the confusion. i need to reset the connection directly to the modem to test that but thru the AE connection using an ethernet LAN port the speed is 100 mbps / 12 mpbs. So there's definitely an issue with the wifi from the AE jumping down to 48 mbps / 10 mbps, but Ill work with Comcast also to see why the speed isn't at the 150 mbps.

Nov 29, 2015 5:44 PM in response to kyfish10

OK, for now let's assume that your Internet connection speed is about 100 Mbps, so we'll use that as a baseline.

Locate your laptop about 10-12 feet from the AirPort Extreme with direct line of sight to the AirPort Extreme.

I would start with the Channel setting for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz at Automatic, but you can use a a set channel number if you want. There is always going to be some loss in the signal transition from Ethernet to wireless, so a decent wireless speed might be in the 85-90 Mbps range, maybe a bit higher.

Power off and restart the AirPort Extreme and do the same with your laptop.

Try to check the connection speed a few times with a 2.4 GHz connection and then with a 5 GHz connection. Even the 2.4 GHz connection should easily deliver an 85-90 Mbps signal speed, so it really should not matter whether you are using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz with the Internet connection speed that you have at this time.

What is the average speed that you see when you check at 2.4 GHz with the laptop about 10-12 feet away with line of sight to the AirPort Extreme?

What is the average speed that you see when you check at 5 GHz with the laptop about 10-12 feet away with line of sight to the AirPort Extreme?

Nov 29, 2015 6:22 PM in response to kyfish10

A phone is about the least accurate device that you could use to check speeds. My laptop checks in at about 95 Mbps on a 100 Mbps Internet connection, but my iPhone measures about 45 Mbps at the same location. The iPad does about 48-50 Mbps. Neither of these devices have very good antennas or wireless performance.

How old is the Dell that you have? What operating system is it running? What speeds do you measure if you check with the Dell?

Nov 29, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Apologies again. I meant that I'm changing the settings from my iphone, not checking the speeds with that. I can't change the settings anywhere else besides my apple iphone to my knowledge.

I've been checking the speeds on my Dell laptop. Those 48/12 wifi speeds are coming from the same Dell device where i got the LAN 100/12 speeds.

Nov 29, 2015 6:47 PM in response to kyfish10

We won't know whether you have a wireless problem with the AirPort Extreme until you can check with another laptop or computer, preferably not a PC.

My sister who is visiting for Thanksgiving has a 1 year old HP laptop here that is running Windows 10. If she checks the connection here using her laptop, she gets about 38-40 Mpbs. At the same time, my Mac laptop.....further away from the AirPort Extreme......is checking in at 95-96 Mbps.

If you have the time, and have an Apple Store nearby, you can take the AirPort in for them to check it out, but I would expect that it will check out just fine. If by chance it does not, they will exchange the product for you.

Nov 30, 2015 6:03 AM in response to kyfish10

The 2 PC laptops that I've owned in the past behaved about the same. I'm not saying that ALL PCs will behave the same way....all that I can do is report my experience with the PCs that I've used or friends have used in the house.

I just checked again on my sister's PC laptop a few minutes ago, and see that it is checking in at about 41-42 Mbps. My laptop, located about 15 feet further from the AirPort Extreme than the PC, is at 98-99 Mbps

As far as changing settings on the AirPort Extreme, you will need either a Mac or an iPhone / iPad. I've found that the "Automatic" settings work fine for me. So, the few hours that I spent experimenting with "manual" Channel settings some time ago were pretty much a waste of time. After all, the AirPort is supposed to scan and find the best channels to use automatically. But, some users swear by manually setting channels.

airport extreme signal with comcast slower than comcasts router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.