Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to transfer apps from iPhone to iTunes

I had to perform a clean install of OS 10.11 El Capitan. Doing so removed my apps (I think my music library is OK...) -- so I have all apps on my iPhone.

The question is -- as I cannot Sync without wiping the iPhone with the nothing library on my MBP --- how do I pull apps from iPhone to MBP? Note, I did File > Transfer from iPhone (as derived from another Apple Support page) and that had no effect.

I have 5 apps according to iTunes on MBP -- but iTunes accurately 'sees' the 191 apps on iPhone

Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 6:53 AM

First you say the library is okay but then you say it is a nothing library which implies it is not okay. The way to avoid having to wipe a phone is to transfer the library correctly.

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music (or Home > Music) then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.) Remember to authorize the computer in iTunes to your Apple ID if you use this to sync to Apple mobile devices or play DRM protected media (e.g., movies).

Certain items used in iTunes related activities are not stored in the iTunes library folder but in special folders. If you are moving a library to a different computer you may wish to copy these too:

- Apple Music cache files: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2015/09/new-flush-apple-music-cache-files/

- iOS device backups, various preferences files: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3285925

As for the app transfer, you can't anymore with new "App Thinning" with iOS9. To make apps smaller they are being customized for specific hardware when downloaded from Apple directly to a device with iOS9. Apps downloaded directly to a device from Apple may no longer work on any other kind of device. Apple has decided there is no point in syncing these to a computer since each device should ideally get a customized version directly from Apple. If you want a backup copy on your computer you can transfer a non-thinned version directly from the Store to the computer which should you need it can be transferred to any i-device (but will take up more room).

Here's the technical description: https://developer.apple.com/library/watchos/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDis tributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html - iOS9 App Thinning > "Slicing is the process of creating and delivering variants of the app bundle for different target devices. A variant contains only the executable architecture and resources that are needed for the target device." ... "The App Store will create and deliver different variants based on the devices your app supports."

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 6:53 AM in response to kindraf

First you say the library is okay but then you say it is a nothing library which implies it is not okay. The way to avoid having to wipe a phone is to transfer the library correctly.

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music (or Home > Music) then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.) Remember to authorize the computer in iTunes to your Apple ID if you use this to sync to Apple mobile devices or play DRM protected media (e.g., movies).

Certain items used in iTunes related activities are not stored in the iTunes library folder but in special folders. If you are moving a library to a different computer you may wish to copy these too:

- Apple Music cache files: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2015/09/new-flush-apple-music-cache-files/

- iOS device backups, various preferences files: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3285925

As for the app transfer, you can't anymore with new "App Thinning" with iOS9. To make apps smaller they are being customized for specific hardware when downloaded from Apple directly to a device with iOS9. Apps downloaded directly to a device from Apple may no longer work on any other kind of device. Apple has decided there is no point in syncing these to a computer since each device should ideally get a customized version directly from Apple. If you want a backup copy on your computer you can transfer a non-thinned version directly from the Store to the computer which should you need it can be transferred to any i-device (but will take up more room).

Here's the technical description: https://developer.apple.com/library/watchos/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDis tributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html - iOS9 App Thinning > "Slicing is the process of creating and delivering variants of the app bundle for different target devices. A variant contains only the executable architecture and resources that are needed for the target device." ... "The App Store will create and deliver different variants based on the devices your app supports."

Dec 1, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for getting back to me and I apologize if my use of the word library was confusing

I have no issues with my music library. I was referring to copying my apps (only) from the iPhone to the MBP. that I was unaware of the App Thinning phenom. I get it, but would one want to backup their apps, regardless of device specificity (if for no other reason, than my situation -- where I had to rebuild)? Or if I lose my iPhone data, I could extract from the Cloud?

Thing is, that i do not see my apps on the Cloud either.

Need to transfer apps from iPhone to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.