Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad for 3 year old?

Is an iPad for a 3 year old?

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:56 PM

My daughter has had her iPad mini since she was a year old. She is now 4 and she is getting an iPad Air 2 for christmas. If you have the money, I say buy it. It's great to have all your apple devices connected with pictures,videos etc. also if they loose it, find my iphone is a very nice feature! Buy an otter box for it and it will be fine. My daughter has destroyed the case in three years but the iPad itself is still like new!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Ellie122446

My daughter has had her iPad mini since she was a year old. She is now 4 and she is getting an iPad Air 2 for christmas. If you have the money, I say buy it. It's great to have all your apple devices connected with pictures,videos etc. also if they loose it, find my iphone is a very nice feature! Buy an otter box for it and it will be fine. My daughter has destroyed the case in three years but the iPad itself is still like new!

Jul 3, 2017 10:01 AM in response to ricky010

ricky010 wrote:

Are you saying that this is precisely what we do when we use such devices?

I really do not get it. How is it mindless when kids are actually interacting with a piece of machine that has retina display that is clearly better than a plastic that has 640x480 display with pixelated crap right out of the box?

Aside from the fact you're replying to a two year old post, there are numerous good quality studies that show screen time should be limited in small children. "Mindless" might not have been the best adjectival choice. The issue is that they are not interacting with the real world. Children learn through multiple modalities. "Playing" on a screen is very limited. And limiting.

Jul 3, 2017 10:15 AM in response to Skydiver119

Yes - I am a parent of a 3 year old. My little one turned 3 this May. We live in an age where interacting with electronics is part and parcel of life. 4 year olds are given assignments to turn in online here in San Ramon district in California. It is better that kids interact with devices and learn to interact with them cleanly. Obviously it is up to parent to clamp the time/duration you spend with devices down to what you desire and also allow physical activity.

Jul 3, 2017 10:22 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have a 3 year old as well.

You are right Mindless wasn't a right adjective to use. Playing onscreen is limited by the fact that you have a small rectangular device that is dumb and cannot do haptics cleanly as they would in future. But honestly if the implication in your argument was that if you buy an iPad kids will only use iPad 24 hours a day 7 days a week - no I am sorry your argument is incorrect.

The OP asked for iPad to buy for 2 year old - she/he never said - well imma have my kid use it all the time. Lets be reasonable and understand that others also understand how parenting is done. My objection was to merely point out that devices are useful - they help kids do whatever we do - and empower kids and hence should be used as a tool - Now does that mean that you throw the toolbox and just use one tool as jack of all traits? come on! lets be reasonable.My daughters outdoorsy - in any event - you can inculcate both things together with kids, outdoor activity and indoor learning and iPad can play a nominal role in that - it *DOESN'T* have to be 100% of their time, but do not throw the baby out of the bath water or so they say.

Jul 3, 2017 12:03 PM in response to ricky010

ricky010 wrote:

I have a 3 year old as well.

You are right Mindless wasn't a right adjective to use. Playing onscreen is limited by the fact that you have a small rectangular device that is dumb and cannot do haptics cleanly as they would in future. But honestly if the implication in your argument was that if you buy an iPad kids will only use iPad 24 hours a day 7 days a week - no I am sorry your argument is incorrect.

The OP asked for iPad to buy for 2 year old - she/he never said - well imma have my kid use it all the time. Lets be reasonable and understand that others also understand how parenting is done. My objection was to merely point out that devices are useful - they help kids do whatever we do - and empower kids and hence should be used as a tool - Now does that mean that you throw the toolbox and just use one tool as jack of all traits? come on! lets be reasonable.My daughters outdoorsy - in any event - you can inculcate both things together with kids, outdoor activity and indoor learning and iPad can play a nominal role in that - it *DOESN'T* have to be 100% of their time, but do not throw the baby out of the bath water or so they say.

You're making incorrect inferences from my post. I never said no, don't use an iPad with a child. I said screen time (iPads, iPhones, televisions, gaming devices) should be limited. Limited use ≠ no use.

But, the reality is, once you give a small child something like an iPad, it becomes tempting for both child and parent not to limit things. Some parents are up to the challenge. Many are not. Lots of parents show up on these boards asking how to limit their child's iOS device use without actually taking the device away.

Nov 29, 2015 5:11 PM in response to Ellie122446

No. An iPad is an expensive device. And while there may be some Apps for small Children, its not something you want to just give to a 3 year old to run around with.

Look at an InnoTab

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/cheap-tablets/vtech-innotab-3s-review-3501904/

Or a LeapFrog LeapTab

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/childrens-tablets/leapfrog-leappad3-leappad-ul tra-xdi-reviews-3575436/

They are much more geared towards small children.

Nov 29, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Ellie122446

No. 3-year-olds shouldn't be plopped in front of any kind of screen. But if you're bound and determine to stuff an electronic screen in front of the face of a small child, I'd go to WalMart or Big Lots or CVS, and instead of buying an iPad for $400, buy ten $40 Android craptablets. Give the kid one, put the rest in the closet, and when it breaks one of them, pull out another. It's not like a 3-year-old is going to realize how terrible the device is.

Nov 29, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Ellie122446

I would suggest if you want to get one to look at the amazon tablets. They have a new one this year for $50 which should have excellent parental controls when it comes to time spent doing things.

Personal thoughts and opinions aside, a tablet geared towards kids in its durability and content control would be better than an expensive device geared towards adults.

Ipad for 3 year old?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.