Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Adobe Photoshop Elements 14

I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 which will not run on my OS X 10.8.3- Mountain Lion.

Elements 14 uses OS X 10.9, Mavericks or OS X 10.10, Yosemite.

Can I still upgrade to either?

I can't find an Adobe version that runs on OS X 10.8. Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:23 PM

Unless you previously downloaded the installer from the App Store, neither Mavericks or Yosemite are available for download. If you did download the installer, go to the App Store Purchases tab where it should be available for download.

13 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi, again, Eric: This is pretty elementary but I'm guessing that the reason to download an "Installer" at the Apps Store is it will allow me to install new versions, etc. to my MacBookPro? Is it only one Installer or an Installer for each new version? Thank you again for taking the time to help me with "kindergarten" information...I need it! :-)

Dec 1, 2015 5:55 AM in response to theuofc

You are welcome. Each OS version has it's own installer. Since 10.9, when a new version of the OS is released, the previous version is removed unless you have downloaded it before. If you previously downloaded it, the old version remains available for download in your App Store Purchases tab.

You might want to consider downloading El Capitan in case you ever need it later. Download the installer and then quit it once it opens. You can then save the file or discard it.

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

Dec 1, 2015 11:42 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi, Eric,

You're a marvel and I am grateful for the detailed explanation and instructions. In this life or another, you're a born teacher.

Who knew I should have downloaded each Installer. Well, I should have, but I didn't wake up to that fact. So thank you for the important nudge

to download the Installer for El Capitan. Being very comfortable with Mountain Lion, aka not wanting the challenge of a new version, I just ignored all Apple alerts about 'new' anything. Head in the sand!

I'm hoping to find an earlier version of Adobe Photoshop (thanks, David!). If I run into any problems in downloading the Installer, I'll be back to beg for more help.

Happy Holidays and thank you again. It's just wonderful to have access to solutions to problems, a rarity.

Dec 3, 2015 3:55 PM in response to logic79

Hello, David,

I've found an Adobe Photoshop Elements v. 9 (not 9.3). It has good reviews. Did you have any problem installing or getting it to run? I also have Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.3) One reviewer noted that the box should come with two discs, one for MAC and other for Win. Is that what you got?

Thank you for any info.

Apr 9, 2016 4:49 AM in response to kolin9511

It is possible to run Photoshop Elements 14 on Mountain Lion. It initially won't install as it checks the OS version. Follow these instructions to change the reported Mac OS version.

http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/how-to-spoof-your-version-of-mac-os-x.html

I changed the OS to 10.9.5 and version number to 13F45. The installer will now install Elements 14. You can change the reported OS version back afterwards. 10.8.5 and 12F45 in my case.

Don't update Adobe Camera Raw to version 9.5. Version 9.4 is the latest version compatible with Mountain Lion. The Elements update to version 14.1 works fine for me.

To run Elements 14 you need to run the Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor app in the support files folder (image below). If you run Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 it will crash.

User uploaded file

The organiser runs, but I have not tested it much as I have no need for it. I hope this helps

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Adobe Photoshop Elements 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.