Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s

HI, today when browsing on the Internet with my iPhone 5S(IOS 9.1), a message appeared on screen saying, We have detected viruses on your I phone, it will soon corrupt your SIM card, Data, Photos & your Contacts if no action taken. It told me to tap button below for App Store & to install the recommended virus removal app, which I did. Then I was to run app to remove viruses but when I opened app I couldn't see Where/how to run the app.

So does anyone know of a free virus scanner to check to see if I have a virus on my phone or does anyone have any ideas/advice on what I should do now?

I would be very grateful for your help/ideas.

Thanx so very much.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:08 PM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2015 3:02 AM in response to stedman1

Thank you for replying. The App I was told to download from the App Store & I did get it was called Onavo Protect, do you know anything about it & do I need it?

After my scare yesterday I am not sure if there is anything wrong with my phone & it might have a virus, do you know how I could find this out?

Sorry i am a newbie to IPhones.

Thanx again.

Nov 30, 2015 3:20 AM in response to Sjm1976

You have infected your phone with malware by downloading that app; you did not download it from the app store, you downloaded it from a scam site. the real "Onavo Protect" app is not an antivirus app; it is a scanner app for VPN connections. You should not have clicked on that link. There were no viruses on your phone before you responded to that message, but you added one and probably gave all of your content to a criminal. You should cease using the phone, change every password you have ever used from the phone, then restore the phone from DFU mode before you use it again. Here is how to restore from DFU mode:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.