Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace hard drive and battery or buy new?

My 2010 MacBook Pro stopped working, shut down and wouldn't start even under safe mode. I brought it into a tech support business and they told me I needed a new hard drive and a new battery, which along with the data recovery and transfer would be roughly $480. I purchased my MacBook Pro in 2010 so it is a little over 5 years old so I guess this is expected. The people at the tech support business told me that theoretically the hard drive could last another 4 to 5 years and that everything else they ran tests on passed. I am on a budget and $500 is quite a bit of money for me to spend, especially if I am going to have to buy a new laptop in another year or so.

If I can get another 3 to 4 years out of my MacBook with the new hard drive and battery, I think it will be worth it. So, I ask you for your opinion on whether or not it is a better idea for me to replace the hard drive and battery or to buy a new laptop (likely a MacBook Air).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:43 PM

If you repair the old laptop you will be able to sell it on Craigslist to help off set the new Mac purchase.

Otherwise it is dead in the water.

2 replies

Replace hard drive and battery or buy new?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.