Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this how safari browser history should work?

I must've had this problem for a couple of years, and now that I finally figured out its cause, I'm wondering if this is weird or not. In short, periodically, my safari browser history would seemingly delete itself, but still keep all the days' folders with 0 items in them. I found nothing online about it, but it happened so infrequently that I just brushed it off and deleted all the empty folders whenever it happened. My first intuition was that it was connected to my travel. I am a college student that occasionally crosses into a different time zone and city to return home. I noticed that my history was gone the first time I looked after changing locations. It also occurred when traveling to Costa Rica. This past week, however, I didn't delete the empty folders before returning to college from Thanksgiving break at home. Lo and behold, the empty folders are repopulated with my old history, and the newer history from my time at home is now empty. So its the time zone change right? Is this normal?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:22 PM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:35 PM in response to Justa Ghost

It's not a time zone issue. It depends on how you have your Safari preferences setup.

Safari sorts your history using preferences, not folders.

You can select how often you want Safari history to be deleted in Safari Preferences.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the General tab.

You can make a selection from the Remove history items pop up menu.

Is this how safari browser history should work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.