Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari consuming too much CPU

Whenever I use Safari I soon hear my laptop's fan running, and Activity Monitor reports that Safari is using something like 134% CPU.

It happens every time I use Safari for more than a few minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what websites I visit, and I don't have to have lots of tabs or windows open. The culprit is Safari, not Safari Web Content. It's only the CPU numbers that are high; memory use looks normal. No problems with Firefox or any other applications. The problem started in the last month or so (possibly after the last Safari update?).

I tried disabling Flash and all Safari extensions; so far nothing helps. (I had only a couple of extensions anyway. I've never used ad blockers.)

MacBook Pro Retina display (mid-2015)

OS X 10.10.5

Safari 9.0.1

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 6:33 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2015 10:25 PM in response to juhook

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Safari

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "Safari" should open. Quit Safari if it's running. One or more files in the open folder should have a name beginning in "History". Move those files, and only those, to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the files you moved back where they were, overwriting the ones that may have been created in their place. Otherwise, delete the files you moved. The browser history will be empty. If possible, restore the deleted files from a backup that predates the problem.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Safari consuming too much CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.