Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage used to give me 3 choices guessing at what word I'm texting, but doesn't anymore

When I typed a text on my phone 6 in the past, using iMessage, it used to display 3 choices of words it thought I might be typing. I could choose one of them instead of finishing typing the word. It doesn't do that anymore. I'm running IOS 8.4.1. My husband has 8.1.1 and it still works on his phone. Was that feature removed, or did I inadvertently change a setting that stopped it from displaying it.

I loved that feature. It was a great shortcut to typing everything completely. Is there a setting to get it back? Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:48 PM

That is not just in iMessage, and that is Predictive Text. If you look at where the typing is for iMessage, just below it there should be a small white line. You can try to put your finger there and then swipe upwards to return it. If that doesn't work, or you are having trouble getting it to work, you can go to Settings>General>Keyboard>Predictive text. If it is on, turn it off and then back on. If Off, turn it on. You also have the option to access that switch by the Globe or emoji icon button next to the number button on the bottom row of the keyboard. Press and hold it down, and it should bring up a short menu of your keyboards, and will also show the Predictive button. If on, again, turn it off, and back on again. If off, then turn it on.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 7:48 PM in response to CindyLV

That is not just in iMessage, and that is Predictive Text. If you look at where the typing is for iMessage, just below it there should be a small white line. You can try to put your finger there and then swipe upwards to return it. If that doesn't work, or you are having trouble getting it to work, you can go to Settings>General>Keyboard>Predictive text. If it is on, turn it off and then back on. If Off, turn it on. You also have the option to access that switch by the Globe or emoji icon button next to the number button on the bottom row of the keyboard. Press and hold it down, and it should bring up a short menu of your keyboards, and will also show the Predictive button. If on, again, turn it off, and back on again. If off, then turn it on.

iMessage used to give me 3 choices guessing at what word I'm texting, but doesn't anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.