Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 4s quit charging after IOS update and began to rapidly discharge, I did a reset but that didnt help, it continued to discharge even when plugged up until it wouldnt do anything, just a black… Anyone else have this issue?

My 4s quit charging after I updated the IOS yesterday and it began to rapidly discharge. I did a reset but that didnt fix the issue. I continued to discharge even when plugged up. I tried several charging routes, wall, computer and docking station. I cleaned the contacts and yet nothing helped. It is now fully discharged and will not come on and does nothing when plugged in. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know how to help?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 9:53 PM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Todd3150

Hello Todd,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having issues with your iPhone not charging. For charging issues I would start with the following article for troubleshooting, it looks like you have already addressed a couple of potential issues, tried different chargers, cleaned contacts, there are a few more for you to look at.

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Regards

Dec 6, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Todd3150

The usable charge cycle life of batteries is finite and they can wear out. Its possible your iPhones battery is worn out and not capable of holding a proper charge any more. If you'd like to keep using the 4S you might look at replacing the battery.

You can probably find a local screen repair shop that does battery replacements as well or you could look at something like this. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-4S-Replacement-Battery/IF115-005-2

The Apple store might also do battery replacements for a set fee.

My 4s quit charging after IOS update and began to rapidly discharge, I did a reset but that didnt help, it continued to discharge even when plugged up until it wouldnt do anything, just a black… Anyone else have this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.