Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari forgets my Plugin settings for web sites

How can I get Safari to remember my selection to Allow plugins on a site?

I have Safari set to Block by default, and would like to set www.bbc.co.uk to "Allow Always", but Safari forgets my setting.

Typically I run into the problem on Sundays when I try to listen to a BBC radio program (Cerys Matthew's show on Radio 6). I bring up the page, click Play, and I get a message that I need to install Flash. I go into Preferences->Security, and bbc is back to "Block". So I set bbc to "Allow Always", reload the show's web page, and then I can play the stream.

By next Sunday, bbc will be back to "Block". The same happens with any other site I try to set a default for. Here's my settings right now, corrected to allow listening to the BBC. It's working now, but by next week it'll be back to "Block" for no apparent reason.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 8:04 PM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Jonathan Hendry

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info in Finder (or just Show Info)

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

☞ Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?

☞ In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?

☞ What is the Modified date?

If you don't have read and write access to the item, change the settings as directed here. Note, however, that if one file has wrong access settings, most likely others do as well. If the item is locked, unlock it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it (command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Dec 22, 2016 7:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm also having this problem, specifically allowing Citrix Receiver to run so that I can access health records at work (from home). I keep changing it to "always allow," and it then shows up under configured websites. It works fine that day, but then the next time I go to use it (usually a few days or a week later), it has reverted its setting back to "ask" (which it never asks, it just doesn't work until I change it back to allow). Don't understand why it is not remembering the setting. I have read / write privileges on my computer (administrator), the settings are not locked, and it shows that it's been modified when I change the settings...yet it keeps reverting back to what appears to be a default setting.

Dec 22, 2016 9:54 AM in response to ParaMD2Be

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Safari forgets my Plugin settings for web sites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.