Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log on to Facetime - it time wants my confidential information...and loops

After I open Fectime and enter my Apple ID and password, a box opens and states that "Facetime wants to use your confidential information stored in 'IDS: <my apple id>-Auth-Token' om your keychain." The choices are Always Allow, Deny, and Allow. No matter which choice I make, the next screen opens, but so does the message with the "Facetime wants to use your confidential information..." and I end up in a loop. So, I can't log into Facetime and use the program. I'm running OS X 10.10. Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 10:10 PM

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select

Change Settings for Keychain "login"

In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences... First Aid

There are four checkboxes in the window that opens. Check all of them. if they're not already checked. Close the window.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

If you use iCloud Keychain, open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 10:10 PM in response to J1-Helena

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select

Change Settings for Keychain "login"

In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences... First Aid

There are four checkboxes in the window that opens. Check all of them. if they're not already checked. Close the window.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

If you use iCloud Keychain, open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

Dec 1, 2015 7:58 AM in response to J1-Helena

Please select

Passwords

in the Category list. Enter "ids" (without the quotes) in the search box in the toolbar of the window. Delete all items of type "application password" that have a name beginning in any of the following ways:

ids:

IDS:

com.apple.ids:

Also find and delete all items with "facetime" or "com.apple.idms" in the name.

Quit Keychain Access. Try FaceTime again.

Dec 1, 2015 7:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, again. After searching on "ids," I deleted about a dozen files that were returned. I started Facetime, entered myu ID and password, and was presented with the "Facetime want to use..." message. I selected "Always Allow." No joy. I again wound up in the endless loop. BTW, I did check and my Apple ID and password are valid. Anyway, I created a new AppleID and was able to launch the app. However, after the successful launch, I closed Facetime. When I opened it again, the same thing happened with my new ID! I can't use Facetime.

Dec 4, 2015 11:11 AM in response to J1-Helena

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Can't log on to Facetime - it time wants my confidential information...and loops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.