Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone lost or stolen, will anyone be able to use it without passcode?

I lost my phone and am wondering even if someone takes the SIM out how are they able to use it without my password or fingerprint? The find my iPhone says the phone is offline and when I called it it went to message bank. I think someone has pulled my SIM out but don't understand what good it is to them without knowing the password.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:26 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:36 PM in response to kjg0170

If they don't know the password, then it isn't any good to them. Your device is not only protected by your Lock Screen passcode, but also by your Activation Lock which was launched when you turned on Find My iPhone. So, even if they try to restore it, they won't be able to as it will require your iCloud passcode to do so.

You might want to put the device in Lost Mode which allows you to set up a separate passcode at the lock screen level, as well as the ability to send a message. These actions would not be sent to the device until it comes back online, but it would be activated immediately if it were to come back online:

iCloud: Find My iPhone overview

Sorry about your phone 😟

GB

Nov 29, 2015 7:40 PM in response to kjg0170

To add to what Gail had to say, I would say the person that may have taken your device probably removed the SIM, or turned the device off to prevent you from tracking it. That is generally what would be attempted. But, as Gail pointed out, the device has a passcode and Activation Lock. So the passcode protects your data, and if they wanted to try and restore it, they would run into Activation Lock, and the attempt at the restore would remove your data, and lock the device to prevent activation.

Phone lost or stolen, will anyone be able to use it without passcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.