Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini and 4k TV

Hello,

Sorry if this has been answered already, I have searched for the answer but still I am not clear.

A 1080 TV has died in a conference room. Looking to replace but most 65"+ TVs are 4k.

I am pretty sure most of our equipment will not drive 4k. We have a MacMini bought in 2012 and also have MacBook Pros.

Is it the computers will only supply 1080 to the TV and then TV will then upscale it?

Thanks,

David

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 2:52 AM

Based on Apple's official document here Use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support the 2012 Mac mini will not do 4K. So it will send 1080 to the TV which will then either show it as 1080 or upscale it.

Newer MacBook Pros can do 4K and equally importantly 4K at 60fps via Displayport. However no, repeat no Macs can do 4K/60fps via HDMI, they can only do 4K at 30fps via HDMI if at all. Almost no TVs use Displayport so if your only connection is HDMI you may as well stick with 1080. If you are prepared to pay a premium there is a Panasonic 4K TV which does have Displayport see https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-l65wt600b.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 2:52 AM in response to David Lee

Based on Apple's official document here Use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support the 2012 Mac mini will not do 4K. So it will send 1080 to the TV which will then either show it as 1080 or upscale it.

Newer MacBook Pros can do 4K and equally importantly 4K at 60fps via Displayport. However no, repeat no Macs can do 4K/60fps via HDMI, they can only do 4K at 30fps via HDMI if at all. Almost no TVs use Displayport so if your only connection is HDMI you may as well stick with 1080. If you are prepared to pay a premium there is a Panasonic 4K TV which does have Displayport see https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-l65wt600b.html

MacMini and 4k TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.