Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Liquid damage dilemma

I own a 2013 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display out of warranty. About 3 weeks ago I spilled a little water on it, but it continues to function. All my data is still there, it turns on fine, and I can pretty much still use it. The only visible damage is on the trackpad and airport card/cable - the mouse is frozen (can use with external mouse though) and it does not detect any wifi hardware from the airport card/cable. I have taken it to be examined by two Apple Service Providers which told me that there was liquid found on the main logic board, top case, airport card, and MagSafe board. The Apple Depot asked $850 to repair everything and a private Apple service provider asked for over $1000. However, the computer continues to function despite the visible damage I stated above. Now my question: is it possible to just replace the airport card/cable and trackpad so I can continue to use it (would anyone -Apple- even replace this part only?) or is it wiser to just buy a new MacBook and sell this for parts? How much would it even be worth? There is no other external damage to the screen or computer itself.

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 9:53 PM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:39 AM in response to sonaliw

sonaliw wrote:

I own a 2013 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display out of warranty. About 3 weeks ago I spilled a little water on it, but it continues to function. All my data is still there, it turns on fine, and I can pretty much still use it. The only visible damage is on the trackpad and airport card/cable - the mouse is frozen (can use with external mouse though) and it does not detect any wifi hardware from the airport card/cable. I have taken it to be examined by two Apple Service Providers which told me that there was liquid found on the main logic board, top case, airport card, and MagSafe board. The Apple Depot asked $850 to repair everything and a private Apple service provider asked for over $1000. However, the computer continues to function despite the visible damage I stated above. Now my question: is it possible to just replace the airport card/cable and trackpad so I can continue to use it (would anyone -Apple- even replace this part only?) or is it wiser to just buy a new MacBook and sell this for parts? How much would it even be worth? There is no other external damage to the screen or computer itself.

It may not be for long. The first thing to do is make a backup of your data.

Liquid damage dilemma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.