Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one recover files from Time Capsule?

I've had the Time Capsule for several years now. Finally today I've needed to use it to restore an accidentally deleted file. Theoretically, you click on "Time Machine" and a window opens with the finder and you then have the option to go back and restore from a previously backed up version. Unfortunately, in my case Time Machine opens with the current files showing, but there is no ability to go back at all. The current finder window is there behind which is a series of blank windows which cannot be opened. Unfortunately you can't capture the screen in Time Machine, but to the right of the finder window is "Today" with an up and down arrow to move through the files, but no other files are available. The right side of the window has a scale with backup dates listed. It shows backups going back as far as November 19 but when I click on them nothing happens. Hopefully I am overlooking something or doing something wrong since this is a tragedy almost beyond comprehension...

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 8:53 PM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2015 9:11 PM in response to Mr. Bacon

Here are the clear instructions from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

It's typically as simple as selecting a file/folder, then scrolling back in time (far right side of screen) to a date/time, and then clicking restore. Note that it can take a few minutes on a slow Mac, network, or storage device before TimeMachine will show what's available. So, I would recommend rebooting, then Launch TimeMachine, then wait at least a few minutes, and then see if previous dates are available.

Nov 29, 2015 9:27 PM in response to FishingAddict

Yes, and this I understand. But it doesn't work. I tried rebooting the Time Capsule and then it began to function as it should but when I clicked back on the most recent backup I got a message saying "waiting" after a few minutes all of the previous finders screens blanked out and I'm left with the current version. I've tried this several times, same result every time. Sometimes crashing the finder on the iMac I'm using.

Nov 30, 2015 10:28 AM in response to LaPastenague

Doesn't work. What happens is the Finder windows are displayed properly (after restarting the Time Capsule) but once I select a backup to recover, that window opens with the notation "waiting." Then the Finder windows stacked in the display, one by one go blank except for the one on top (the current version that I'm wanting to revise) and the "Restore" button goes blank, leaving only "Cancel" as a possibility.

Nov 30, 2015 10:50 AM in response to Mr. Bacon

Unfortunately, everything that you are telling us indicates that your backups were likely corrupted, so Time Machine started all over again with a new backup on November 19 to try to fix the issue. Normally, a screen appears when this occurs......like this:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, the backups that have occurred since November 19 may also be corrupted.

Power off the Time Capsule

Wait 10-15 seconds

Power up the Time Capsule again and let it run a few minutes

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Verify Backups

The process may take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more. Keep the "status" window open so that you can monitor things from time to time and report on the results when the process has completed.

How does one recover files from Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.