Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious crashes in 2009 macbook pro

Its been a while since I have been on here. Anyway I've had an ongoing issue where my now aging 2009 MacBook Pro is crashing badly. At first I thought it was some corrupt software so I wiped the HD and reinstalled from TimeMachine. Then after it was crashing continuously I pulled one of the Ram modules and for about 2 months all was good. Now Its back in anger..! Crashes happen with a frozen cursor/lockup and then I get kicked out to the user screen and reboot. On occasion I get the normal apple logo startup screen but with white text scrolling down the left. I'm experienced as a Mac user and have tried various diagnostic tools with no success. Any ideas...??? It might be time to upgrade but I dont really have the money. Does anyone think it might be a HD issue...? Tempted to replace with an SSD.

Thanks in advance

R

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 12:54 AM

12 replies

Nov 30, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Richie Hatch

It will be in the Library folder with the 'building' on the folder. Click on the HDD (usually Macintosh HD) icon on your desktop and you should be able to find the Library folder.

Regarding the AHT, have you tried using the original installation disk that has the AHT instructions written on it? An alternative is to download the appropriate AHT for your MBP from here:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Ciao.

Dec 4, 2015 3:35 PM in response to Richie Hatch

The image you posted is beyond by knowledge base. If I were to guess, it suggests to me hardware problems. Were you able to run an Apple Hardware Test? If possible, download and post an Etrecheck report. That might provide a clue:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

I suspect that a visit to an Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation will be your best option.

Ciao.

Dec 4, 2015 4:02 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the reply. No.... I can't, no matter what I do, get the hardware test to run. I can't find the original discs that came with the machine either. If there where an Apple Store in Ireland I would visit it. The closest one is in Northern Ireland in Belfast which is a bit of a drive for me. Listen thanks again for your help. A friend is going to give me some spare ram that he has to eliminate the possibilities of that being the problem.

Thanks again

Richie

Dec 4, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Richie Hatch

Be aware that the RAM will have to have the correct specifications for your MBP which for a 2009 are: 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. If the RAM does not have those specifications, you will not accomplish anything.

If you have Lion OSX or newer, have you tried to boot to the recovery partition and run Disk Utility>First Aid? If you have a earlier OSX, use the original install DVD to access Disk Utility.

Ciao.

Serious crashes in 2009 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.