Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

plug and lightning bolt icon, black screen, mac shuts down

This has happened twice now, randomly. One time was on the charger. Shut down, then after I unplugged and came back after a little while, it booted up. Had a 60% charge. Second time was on the battery. Had a 23% charge. After I waited a few minutes and plugged in, it worked again, and my programs came back on screen.

The first time it happened I was editing in Premiere. The second time, I was previewing a Premiere project to a TV via HDMI. However, I don't think it's Premiere, because I edit regularly and it never shuts down, even with several programs running.

I have been getting a service battery warning, but the computer is under 1000 power cycles.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thank you

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 10:36 PM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:10 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you Ogelthorpe,

Yes, I've already had it tested at a store. An issue was found which I do plan to address. The 1000 cycles thing actually does matter to Apple Care, becasue that is the point at which it is considered a problem vs. normal wear and tear.

But the main question is, does anyone our there recognize this shutting down issue and the power cord and lightning bolt icon? The extra information I"ve given there is mostly for background.

I would take it right up to the Apple Store but I am an hour away from one.

plug and lightning bolt icon, black screen, mac shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.