Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch won't ping phone

pinged my phone this morning. Nothing. Went to software update and phone says it can't find my watch sitting right next to it? Unpaired the phone/watch. Now I can't re-pair it? Viewfinder pairing - nothing. Manual pairing? Where is the "I" I need to tap??? Getting angry!

Apple Watch, watchOS 1.0.1, Watch OS2

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 5:27 AM

Hi

If your iPhone believes that your watch has been unpaired, but the process was not completed on your watch, you will need to reset your watch manually.

- On your watch, go to: Home screen (via a single press on the Digital Crown) > Settings (cog icon) > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.

You should then be able to pair it via the standard process:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If that does not work, try pairing manually instead:

- Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone: Settings > Bluetooth.

- Check that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi or to a cellular network: Settings > Wi-Fi.

- Ensure that both devices are charged.

- Place your watch on your wrist, with the band fastened and keep your iPhone nearby.

- Choose a language on your watch.

- Separately on each device, tap on Start Pairing (on your iPhone, do this within the Watch app).

- Tap Pair Apple Watch Manually on your iPhone.

- Tap the info icon "i" on your watch (it will be shown now). Your device's name should be displayed on the watch face.

- On your iPhone, tap the device name matching that shown on your watch face.

- A six-digit code will be displayed on your watch. Enter that code on your iPhone to pair the two devices.

- Then follow the steps as prompted to Set Up.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 5:27 AM in response to kt4ever

Hi

If your iPhone believes that your watch has been unpaired, but the process was not completed on your watch, you will need to reset your watch manually.

- On your watch, go to: Home screen (via a single press on the Digital Crown) > Settings (cog icon) > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.

You should then be able to pair it via the standard process:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If that does not work, try pairing manually instead:

- Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone: Settings > Bluetooth.

- Check that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi or to a cellular network: Settings > Wi-Fi.

- Ensure that both devices are charged.

- Place your watch on your wrist, with the band fastened and keep your iPhone nearby.

- Choose a language on your watch.

- Separately on each device, tap on Start Pairing (on your iPhone, do this within the Watch app).

- Tap Pair Apple Watch Manually on your iPhone.

- Tap the info icon "i" on your watch (it will be shown now). Your device's name should be displayed on the watch face.

- On your iPhone, tap the device name matching that shown on your watch face.

- A six-digit code will be displayed on your watch. Enter that code on your iPhone to pair the two devices.

- Then follow the steps as prompted to Set Up.

Nov 30, 2015 5:43 AM in response to kt4ever

kt4ever wrote:

pinged my phone this morning. Nothing. Went to software update and phone says it can't find my watch sitting right next to it? Unpaired the phone/watch.

Also, for future reference, it may not have been necessary to unpair and re-pair your watch.

When your watch face shows a red phone symbol with a line through it, this just means that your watch has become temporarily disconnected from your iPhone.

User uploaded file

Disconnections are normal and happen (for example) when the devices are taken out of range of each other. After they next disconnect, if they do not reconnect automatically a short while after being brought close together again, try following these steps - checking your watch after each one - until they do:

- Check that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are both enabled on your iPhone and that your devices are close by each other.

- Check that you haven't enabled Airplane Mode on your watch (see step 4 for how to check this).

- Disable and re-enable Bluetooth on your iPhone: (Settings > Bluetooth).

- Enable and disable Airplane Mode on your watch: Swipe up on the watch face > Swipe sideways to the Settings glance > Tap the airplane icon to enable Airplane Mode (turns off Bluetooth & Wi-Fi) > Wait for a short while > Tap the icon again to disable Airplane Mode (enables Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) > Connected should appear on the screen.

- Restart both devices, turn both off first, then restart your iPhone before restarting your watch (to turn your watch off: press and hold the side button, then drag the Power Off slider. To turn it on: press and hold the side button until the logo appears).

For the best performance from your watch, keep both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth permanently enabled on your iPhone.

Watch won't ping phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.