Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my imac wakes up every minute, and restarts when I turn it off (!)

My 2009 27" iMac has been behaving very strangely over the last few weeks. It wakes every minute - as per the following dump from the syslog (grep -i "Wake reason"):

Nov 30 21:19:26 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:20:20 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:21:12 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:22:06 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:22:59 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:23:51 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:24:45 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:25:39 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:26:32 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:27:24 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:28:18 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:29:11 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

Nov 30 21:30:04 Simons-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: ?

... and if I try to turn it off, it always turns back on. I've done all the obvious things like turning off "wake for network access" and "Start up automatically after a power failure" in the energy saver control panel, as well as disconnecting all USB devices and turning off wake from bluetooth (using a bluetooth trackpad).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 5:38 AM

9 replies

Dec 6, 2015 3:03 PM in response to nong

Please test after taking each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps suggested in this support article, including the ones under the heading "If the previous steps don't work." That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem.

Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if some sharing services are enabled. From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Sharing

Turn off all sharing services.

Step 2

If iTunes Music Sharing or Home Sharing is enabled, disable it or quit iTunes. Do the same with any third-party applications that have a similar feature.

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 4

Select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 5

Reset the printing system.

Step 6

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/var/vm

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "vm" should open. Inside it, there may be a file named "sleepimage". Move that file, and only that one, to the Trash, but don't empty yet. You'll be prompted for your password. Close the folder window.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

Dec 3, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - I've now worked my way through all of the above, but still have the same problem. I've found another couple of threads describing the same problem, but they are a couple of years old now.

The behaviour is exactly as described in one of the support pages - specifically the one on the Bonjour network wake functionality, but that is definitely turned off in the control panel.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Dec 3, 2015 6:42 AM in response to nong

Oh, also pmset -g gives:

Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

hibernatemode 0

halfdim 1

womp 0

networkoversleep 0

sleep 10 (sleep prevented by apsd, AddressBookSourceSync, UserEventAgent)

Sleep On Power Button 1

ttyskeepawake 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

autorestart 0

disksleep 10

displaysleep 10

Dec 5, 2015 9:04 AM in response to nong

Please test after taking each of the following steps. Back up all data before you begin.

Step 1

Quit the Contacts or Address Book application if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBookSourceSync

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash.

Repeat with each of these lines:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook.ContactsAccountsService

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens (command-V). You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 2

If you use iCloud, uncheck the box marked Contacts in the iCloud preference pane. Press return to confirm, or click Keep on Mac in the dialog that opens.

If you synchronize contacts with any other network service, disable that synchronization in the Internet Accounts preference pane.

Step 3

This step applies only if you can launch Contacts. From the list of groups on the left side of the Contacts window, select All On My Mac. If that group doesn't exist or is empty, skip this step. Otherwise, from the menu bar, select

File Export... Contacts Archive...

Save the exported archive to the Desktop.

Step 4

Quit Contacts if it's running. Reveal the following item in the Finder as you did in Step 1:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

If you know when the problem started, and you can restore that folder from an earlier backup without losing any contacts, do so and test. Otherwise, move the folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open for now.

Step 5

Launch Contacts. Your contacts and groups will be gone. If you took Step 3, then double-click the file you created in that step and confirm that you want to import from it. Your contacts and groups will reappear.

Step 6

If you took Step 2, reverse it. Test. If the issue is resolved, delete the AddressBook folder and the archive file on the Desktop and close the open folder window.

Otherwise, quit Contacts again and put the AddressBook folder back where it was, overwriting the newer one that will have been created in its place.

Step 7

Go back to Step 3, but this time choose Export vCard... from the Export menu. Continue as in Steps 4-6. All contacts should be preserved, but you may lose some metadata such as group membership.

my imac wakes up every minute, and restarts when I turn it off (!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.