Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera app freezes when trying to use rear facing camera

It's an iPhone 5. The front facing camera is ok. I can take a picture without any problems. When I tap to switch to the other camera, the camera app freezes. There's a yellow triangle in the upper left of the screen with an exclamation point in it. When I tap that it says:

"Flash is Disabled

The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash."

This is what I've tried without any luck:

"Reset All Settings" (no data or media deleted)

Restored the iPhone (and upgraded to iOS 9.1)

Light pressing on the camera to try and lodge it back in (tried this even though the camera looks fine)

The power button stopped working months before this camera problem. It's an unrelated problem but it's an issue now because I can't do the trick where you hold down the home button and the power button for a few seconds to restart the iPhone.

I'm in Vietnam and there are no Apple Stores here so Genius Bar is out of the question. Please help! 😮

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:24 AM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2015 9:07 AM in response to echoda

Hi echoda,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPhone. If you continue to have issues with the rear camera on your iPhone, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful, up to and including having your iPhone evaluated and/or serviced:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Dec 1, 2015 7:56 PM in response to brenden dv

Thank you for your reply, Brenden. I tried steps 1-3 in "You see a closed lens or black screen". But none of them worked. I'm in a small town in Central Vietnam. There are no Apple Stores in Vietnam or Authorized Service Centers that are closer than a 8 hour bus ride. 😟

Brenden or anyone else reading this: Do I have any other options?

Camera app freezes when trying to use rear facing camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.