Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging two iPhoto libraries into one

My photos were getting too big for my mac so I started putting them onto an external hard drive by simply dragging them across and renaming them. I would now like to merge the various libraries into one.

1. Can I do this and not loose my Events and Faces

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 4:17 AM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 5:30 AM in response to LTKS

Photos does not support to merge libraries.

You can only export the photos from one library and import them into the other library to unite your libraries.

1. Can I do this and not loose my Events and Faces

Photos does not have events, only moments, and moments will be created automatically.

If you want to safe the albums that Photos created from the iPhoto events, export the photos from each album separately and import them for each album individualy. Then recreate the album from all photos in the last Import album.

Faces cannot be transferred this way. When you export photos, you can as´dd the faces names as keywords, but you would have to recreate the faces thumbnails.

Merging two iPhoto libraries into one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.