Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 9.0.1 "No Reading List items" message

I'm using Safari V9.0.1 on a MacBook Pro. I'm having issues with my reading list items going missing.

I followed advice here that recommended toggling iCloud on and off in system settings. That works, but only temporarily.

Could it be a matter of file corruption related to the file that holds the reading list info?

Is there something else I can do other than simply toggling iCloud off and on without losing my reading list?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:42 AM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2015 12:43 PM in response to Loco

Hi Loco,

The resource below offers the troubleshooting steps for iCloud Safari bookmarks and Reading Lists. I realize you have tried some of these steps, but just wanted to make sure you have the complete list.

Get help using iCloud Bookmarks and Reading List
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203519

If you have a Time Machine backup of your MacBook Pro, you can use the application to go back in time and compare your earlier Reading List and restore the file if you wish. Here's how:

OS X El Capitan: Restore items backed up with Time Machine
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21941?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can easily get back lost items or recover older versions of files.

You can use Time Machine within many apps. If you have iCloud Drive turned on, you can recover older versions of documents in iCloud.

1. Open a window for the item you want to restore; to recover a document in iCloud, open the app used to create the document, choose File > Open, then click iCloud Drive (in the Favorites section of the Finder sidebar).

For example, to recover a file you accidentally deleted from your Documents folder, open the Documents folder. To recover an email message, open your inbox in Mail.

If you’re missing an item from the desktop, you don’t need to open a window.

2. You can also open Time Machine by clicking the Time Machine icon User uploaded file in the menu bar, then choosing Enter Time Machine. If the Time Machine menu isn’t in the menu bar, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Time Machine, then select “Show Time Machine in menu bar.”

3. Use the arrows and timeline to browse the local snapshots and backups.

User uploaded file

If you see a pulsing light to semi-dark gray tick mark, it represents a backup that’s still loading or validating on the backup disk.

4. Select one or more items you want to restore (these can include folders or your entire disk), then click Restore.

Restored items return to their original location. For example, if an item was in the Documents folder, it’s returned to the Documents folder.

Take care,

Dec 2, 2015 9:05 AM in response to judysings

Thanks so much for your response.

I am able to see all those reading list items once again after I toggle iCloud on and off as per my original post.

The problem is they randomly disappear (and it is only the reading list, bookmarks are fine) after restarting the computer at the beginning of a new day/session.

That's why I am leaning towards either a bug or some sort of file corruption. I just have to find a solution so I'm not just putting a band aid on a problem that may have a solution.

Safari 9.0.1 "No Reading List items" message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.