Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have 27in Mac 10.6.8. Used fake Mac cleaner. Garage Office dissapeared

Hi Peeps, I'm a real novice concerning use of Mac.. Owned since October 2010. Got a message that I clicked onto for AppleMacCleaner! Was fake set up. Managed to not give monies at the last! Tried to trash all connections to fakes. Have lost Garage, Office and so much more! Keep getting messages when I attempt to use youtube stating my safari not up to date? Do not understand whats going on. Any advice appreciated. Thx

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:32 AM

What advice are you seeking? Do you have a backup?

To learn how to use Time Machine read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac.

Perhaps you inadvertently installed adware. For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Saffysearch

What advice are you seeking? Do you have a backup?

To learn how to use Time Machine read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac.

Perhaps you inadvertently installed adware. For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

Nov 30, 2015 9:05 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you John.... Have yet to try and back up and restore but will try to follow advice. For some reason I have completely lost my Garage Band and a number of other items that came originally with my iMac. This happened coincidentally with as I suspect, (having read a number of blogs), I inadvertently downloaded a pop up advertisement for what proved to be a fake MacKeeper, (although I did trash everything associated with this fake site afterwards), I had got an errie feeling when it came to them aggressively asking me and even insisting on payment and financial details. At this point I cancelled, (thank god for small mercies).

My system is 10.6.8 snowleopard. Therefore I have no Gatekeeper. Thank you for advice. I am somewhat slow on understanding and following instructions as I do not really follow computer jargon, sorry for my dumbness in this respect😊 I so appreciate your advice....

Have 27in Mac 10.6.8. Used fake Mac cleaner. Garage Office dissapeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.