Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX MULTICAM

PLEASE HELP

I am working on a project that has over 50 clips which are all combined from different cameras. I have tried multiple times, using the MULTICAM option, to sync them....except it's not working.

A window pops up saying,

"NOT ENOUGH DISK SPACE"

"There is not enough disk space available to optimize the multicam clip.

Clip will be created but not optimized. You can optimize it after clearing from space

using TRANSCODE MEDIA IN THE FILE MENU."

The number one problem is that the external hard drive has more than enough space on it.

I have absolutely no idea how to get this to work.

It's a huge project and every single other time I've used the multicam option

I have not come across this problem, perhaps because there are so many clips.

PLEASE HELP

Thank you!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:54 AM

Final Cut Pro->Preferences->Playback.

Uncheck the box that says: "Create Optimized Media for Multicam Clips"

12 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am really not used to using FCPX, I'm used to using FCP7 though I have to use FCPX for work. I have never ever come across this problem before.

Is there any possible way you could walk me through the steps? I have read more articles and watched more videos trying to make this happen but it just doesn't seem to want to work!

I have all the clips in my Library, selected them all and then used the multicam option and that window popped up and I honestly have no idea how to do what you suggested.

THANK YOU so much for your response and continued help!

Nov 30, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you again for your timely response.

Again the issue is that it didn't sync all 59 clips....

It's really frustrating....to be completely honest,

I have a degree in Film Production and Film Studies

and Editing is definitely not my forte....I have always had editors,

though this current project I'm working on for my boss, for reasons

I can't really explain, he only wants me to do it....

Clearly a bit of an issues....

Can't thank you enough for your help and guidance.

I have read more articles and watched more videos

and they're not specific and give more of an overview of

the program....obviously not helpful at all what so ever!

THANK YOU AGAIN

Nov 30, 2015 8:41 AM in response to gprotell

Maybe you need a more pedagogical intro to the software.

The introductory course by izzyvideo is professionally made and free, and will give you a lot of information about how FCP X works in general.

Regarding multicam, you could search for "MacBreak Studio multicam". A few episodes of the great weekly series "MacBreak Studio" by Mark Spencer and Steve Martin will appear. If you need more, you could look at their training material in rippletraining.com - these two guys are amazing. Great professionals, and educators too. My heroes (as well as Karsten's, too :-))

Nov 30, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS....

I will definitely check them out....

There are also four other project going on at once....

Again seriously thank you so much for your help.

When I was in college we were required to take several editing courses throughout the two years of my thesis....

I was the only one in my graduating class that hired an entire crew to work on my film.

Grew up in New York and have tons of friends that are in the field....

I hired a good friend as my editor that lives in Michigan....

Though he works strictly on FCP7....

Again thank you so much for your help and suggestions....

Dec 2, 2015 1:46 AM in response to gprotell

59 clips is nothing special... I'm synching here 4-7 devices and one, sometimes two are start/stop in use, which creates +100 clips.

speaking of heroes (Hi Luis 😉 ) , my list of Steves&Marks tuts about Multicam

https://youtu.be/qKhmZbVgywk

https://youtu.be/eeQzOycTlOU

https://youtu.be/RS5Ct3I8Yrs

https://youtu.be/C5ZN3ykbvhA

https://youtu.be/HE4FRDMJBS0

https://youtu.be/S2pnoveRIYE

https://youtu.be/e667iBARkzQ

about an hour to watch, but no rocket science!

A few remarks, based upon personal experience:

• no prox nor optimize needed, if each 'stream' (=angle) comes from its own drive/'platter'! My ol' MacMini handles 4k multicam!

• or, invest into SSDs, my working horse is a 120€, usb3 connected Samsung thingie (matchbox size) which delivers blazing fast

• I don't edit music videos, but soccer games - so 'synch by audio' does work, tested it, if thw crowd makes some noise, but 'synch on first marker' works better and incredible fast, literally in seconds (see my hardware specs below...); it just asks to set a marker in each angle manually (here: referees whistle)

• before creating the MC, do your meta housework: each clip has to have some 'angle'; select all clips of one angle and give them the same name => do that right after import; use the Notes field to create 'groups', here: same cam, same angle, but 1st hald, 2nd half; check for consistency in timestamps (if you forgot to set your cams to same date/time <cough> as I do frequently)

• the MC timeline allows further adjustments, which track is 'main', which track is #5, finally allows finer adjustements ( , and ., comma and dot is your friend) - there's nothing wrong to synch by hand/ear! 😉

• check, BEFORE creating the MC, that there are no selections made in the source clips! Typical beginners mistake - instead of the whole clip, just a fraction appears…

you can apply/minus additonal tracks later, e.g. I used one track for a timecode generator, or use an 'overview' track for editing, than in a second round select cameras...

• if you have to color correct one cam/angle - do it in the MCs timeline, no need to do that later in dozens of clips

don't care for formats; but, for convenience in edit, set the MCs settings to same as your best source; here: 1080/50p - my projects are mostly 25p, but selecting a clip (=part of a MC) and choose 'automatic conform', creates 100% perfect slowmo - although, the MC contains some material only 720/30p. I'm mixing here 1080/50p, 1080/25p, 720/30p, 720/60p and lately 1080/100p… all in one MC, no manual conversion/conforming needed

a MC is a clip as any other: you're not forced to use all content, you can split it, trim it, stack/double it (excellent for instrument tutorials), blade it, edit it as any other clip

Mutlicam does not mean multiple cameras on set! It doesn't even mean one camera on same set nor time…!

• and finally: MC is no replacement for tracks … 😉, a video shows only one pic, no need to staple tons of 'unseen' material over each other

FCPX MULTICAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.